FM3 level changes using different live amps, not IRs

Foxman

Hi Guys, I've been using my FM3 for effects and some amp modeling using the outputs 1/4 inch going into live amps on stage inputs. For some reason, my levels always change after making all my settings at home before the show. At home my reference is from my studio interface 1/4 inch inputs with my FM3 output settings on Unity Gain and No padding or increase plus 4 etc... When I get to the show my clean sound is much lower than my distortion and my distortion is much louder than my settings at home.
How can I make my settings at home without having two amps to hear what I would hear on stage? It seems that all my preparations go down the drain when I get to the gig or show. Please everyone remember, I'm not talking about IRs amps! I'm talking about two live Mesa Boogie Lonestar amps on stage.
For my distortion, I use the IRs Cabs and the same outputs 1/4 inch out. Those settings change with different amps also. I even tried with my output settings on Line Level and it seems to change. What would you suggest I do to prepare my setting before the show so there are no level jumps on stage and monitors?

Chris, what I mean is not the modeling amps but the actual amps on stage. For my distortion I do use the IRs Cabs even though I'm using amps on stage.
Your terminology is very unclear.

There's no such thing as "IRs Cabs".

IRs are captures of (typically) a mic'd speaker that you load into a Cab block. IR stands for Impulse Response, which is the capture method.

There's no such thing as "IRs Amps".

Amps in the Fractal are Amp blocks that use Amp modeling.

Are you plugging the FM3 into the front of the amp (standard guitar input) or into the effects return input?

When you are using an interface at home is there an Amp block and Cab block in your preset? Otherwise I'd imagine it sounds not great, especially with distortion.

When using a real amp it is recommended to NOT use an Amp or Cab block, especially if you're plugging into the front of an amp.

Getting levels correct in your case will be a challenge.

• Dialing in presets on monitors thru an audio interface is not going to translate well going into an amp
  • Dialing in presets really needs to be done at or near performance volume or you're going to have challenges not only with clean vs distorted but also EQ and the effects of Fletcher Munson when playing at lower volume

Sorry, as you can tell I'm new and I just purchased the FM3 a few months ago. Sorry, I'm still learning. Yes, I'm plugging the FM3 into the front of the amp (standard guitar input) And yes, I meant the Amp blocks that use Amp modeling. When I'm at home using my interface there is an Amp block and Cab block in my preset. I guess this is the problem.

Sorry, as you can tell I'm new and I just purchased the FM3 a few months ago. Sorry, I'm still learning. Yes, I'm plugging the FM3 into the front of the amp (standard guitar input) And yes, I meant the Amp blocks that use Amp modeling. When I'm at home using my interface there is an Amp block and Cab block in my preset. I guess this is the problem.
To dial in presets for what you're doing you really need to do that with a similar (real) amp.

Back
Top Bottom