FM3 GAP/SEAMLESS SWITCHING

The loss in cpu percent with gapless on is far outweighed by performance gains in breaking bloated presets into streamlined ones.

Yeah...I disagree. Or maybe...we'll see. Most players who build out kitchen sink presets seem to want a catch all for every situation. You'll still have to significantly plan out switching, the same as planning out scenes today. Gapless switching isn't going to help those folks out at all. Really hope it's switchable on/off. Super awesome that they are working on it, but I personally don't need it and much prefer having a little extra power available as I'm on the original FM3 not the Turbo.

Yeah...I disagree. Or maybe...we'll see. Most players who build out kitchen sink presets seem to want a catch all for every situation. You'll still have to significantly plan out switching, the same as planning out scenes today. Gapless switching isn't going to help those folks out at all. Really hope it's switchable on/off. Super awesome that they are working on it, but I personally don't need it and much prefer having a little extra power available as I'm on the original FM3 not the Turbo.
It came with an on/off switch on the Axe-Fx III, so no real problem there, right? I simply can't do the kitchen sink presets that include my primary patches on the FM3. I'm on the original too.

It came with an on/off switch on the Axe-Fx III, so no real problem there, right? I simply can't do the kitchen sink presets that include my primary patches on the FM3. I'm on the original too.

Right, I don't do kitchen sink presets. I build targeted presets bases on the sets and use the same switching scheme for every preset. I don't need 1 preset to cover everything, I can switch presets between songs.

It really depends on how you are using the fm3

The core of my pedalboard is fm3, airstep xsonic, 2 pedals and a cheap 2 switches box.

I use the airstep to switch between the 8 scenes and the 3 fm3 switches are only for effects.

With gapeless presets I could just reprogram the airstep to switch between presets and use only the per preset fm3 switches for dedicated songs presets.

So gapeless for me is really great and in fact I really need it. Sometimes the gape between some amps are really too long.

Just that and the new amp triode algorithm.

I honestly don’t care about another reverb or another fancy overdrive. There’s already a ton that can be tweaked to death.

[...]

I honestly don’t care about another reverb or another fancy overdrive. There’s already a ton that can be tweaked to death.
The revamp of the springs though. Definitely welcome over here!

edit: The accuracy of the existing drive models is also important to me, as I'm familiar with the behavior of the IRL hardware units.

Last edited:
Yea, this a conundrum... If and when gapless switching comes to the FM3, will it allow for you to use the pitch, plex, and other CPU intensive blocks?

Yea, this a conundrum... If and when gapless switching comes to the FM3, will it allow for you to use the pitch, plex, and other CPU intensive blocks?
You MAY have to change your work flow a bit , but think of it this way you could now switch presets instead of scenes
So you could have a heavy tone with pitch block capo
Delay verb
Then switch to a seperate preset for a clean ambient thing with Plex verb a bunch of delays ,
So you would not be able to do a kitchen sink in one preset but it will allow you to use all those cpu heavy blocks in several different presets , without gaps when switching , that is why it is so powerful

The AxeFXIII appears to have some CPU optimization with 23.03 as well, maybe that will help the FM3.
Its out of beta for the AxeFx, so maybe a beta soon for the FM series.

You MAY have to change your work flow a bit , but think of it this way you could now switch presets instead of scenes
So you could have a heavy tone with pitch block capo
Delay verb
Then switch to a seperate preset for a clean ambient thing with Plex verb a bunch of delays ,
So you would not be able to do a kitchen sink in one preset but it will allow you to use all those cpu heavy blocks in several different presets , without gaps when switching , that is why it is so powerful

Not for ambient work with reverb/delay/plex. For spillover tails to work, the same blocks have to exist in the 2nd preset so you wouldn't save any CPU. For ambient guys, going to generally be best to stay in 1 preset and, as has always been the case, have targeted presets to handle the song at hand and use scenes to handle different sections switching presets between songs.

Not for ambient work with reverb/delay/plex. For spillover tails to work, the same blocks have to exist in the 2nd preset so you wouldn't save any CPU. For ambient guys, going to generally be best to stay in 1 preset and, as has always been the case, have targeted presets to handle the song at hand and use scenes to handle different sections switching presets between songs.
Honestly for ambient tones live, it’s t would better to buy at least an fm9.
Reverbs, multi tap and plex are the worse cpu eater.

Honestly for ambient tones live, it’s t would better to buy at least an fm9.
Reverbs, multi tap and plex are the worse cpu eater.

Block persistence for spill is consistent among all Fractal devices, so gapless switching isn't going to save anyone CPU who wants tails to spill over. But from an overall power perspective, if one's gotta have all that going on simultaneously then I agree completely.

I personally wouldn’t mind sacrificing the amount of channels per block if I get seamless switching in exchange. For live sets, I never use more than two channels on drive, delay, reverb, etc. I tend to stick to one cab channel, and I rarely use three amp channels. I like the tone and level consistency of using only one preset for a live set. Basically similar to a traditional amp/pedalboard rig. And imho seamless switching is a quality of life feature for live use.

I personally wouldn’t mind sacrificing the amount of channels per block if I get seamless switching in exchange. For live sets, I never use more than two channels on drive, delay, reverb, etc. I tend to stick to one cab channel, and I rarely use three amp channels. I like the tone and level consistency of using only one preset for a live set. Basically similar to a traditional amp/pedalboard rig. And imho seamless switching is a quality of life feature for live use.
The number of channels in a block don’t affect whether you get gapless switching.

Back
Top Bottom