FM3 Firmware Version 7.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have been posting stuff like this here forever...

Fractal has an outstanding reputation for supporting and housing their products for a long time.

Your FM3 is already great. It won't ever get worse, though at some point it will not be able to get improvements - just like ALL the Fractal products.
No doubt about that. Fractal is awesome, and the FM3 is simply amazing, I got rid of my tube amps and now only using it through a SD700 and 4x12, can't be more happy. Like you said, "at some point it will not be able to get improvements", definitely a reality, just hoping this takes time :laughing:. I remember the old days back in the 2000's using the POD or other BOSS units, they were good, but never convinced me of leaving my tube heads behind. Amazing how this small unit convinced me of doing that! Really looking forward the the new updates.

People have been posting stuff like this here forever...

Fractal has an outstanding reputation for supporting and housing their products for a long time.

Your FM3 is already great. It won't ever get worse, though at some point it will not be able to get improvements - just like ALL the Fractal products.
I’m with you on that. My tone is better than I would have ever imagined years ago. I was always buying effects and amps constantly. Since diving into FAS I haven’t needed to purchase new gear.

It worries me that those of us with the Mark I FM3, may be left behind sometime from now :(
Just accept the fact that it will happen one day. My Axe Standard hasn't been updated in years, and my Axe II hasn't been updated in 4 years. I do think it will be awhile before it is the end of the line for the 3rd generation, but it will happen eventually.

No one will ever walk away from one of your gigs and go, "yh to be fair, his guitar tone was a bit 2024'ey... He should have gotten the FM29..."

I'm only interested in gapless as it would just be a nice "cherry on top", a nice "well done son, have that extra cigar" if not, I still got nice toys to play with. Job done.

All the pro work I've done, I've never ever lost a gig/job through my choice of gear. It's always been about the notes/playing the right parts. I remember once seeing a Clapton gig and the rhythm guitar player had a bright shocking pink Jackson soloist, wearing it super high up. He still got the gig. so ner. :D

As for modelling on the Fractal units... It's reached UFO levels imho. I defy anyone, even the anorak brigade, to tell the difference.
After using Marshall amps since 1989, I can finally say, yep, it sounds identical/better than those dino-valve amps (see what i did there).

My only on-going concern is that I only have one mk1. FM3/FC-6/EV-1. just one... when I want 7... or 8 of them.

Still can't use FM3 live. Switching is really slow and messes up my timing. Yes, I have done all the tricks, using scene controllers, using more than one block of the same effect etc. I still use pedals with a mechanical loop switch and its gapless.I have other ancient modellers (like Boss GT3) and switching between presets is quicker. Also, FM3 randomly freezes so your performance is screwed. The pros have multiple units of these so switching is not a problem. You can program FM3 in midi for switching but I don't want to bring a computer to gig and it is not rock n roll.
I do 8 scenes plus tap tempo and tuner with just the three switches using tap and hold. No problem at all, especially with scene names and the new large font!

The gap in the FM3 is no worse than a channel switch on most amps.
That’s wrong. It depdends on Wich amps you switch, delay channel, overdrive channel etc.

I have random gaps on some scenes even by having the same amp channel and just some modifiers plus drive block.

What works for you may not work for others.

I’ve done 200+ shows with it. Sure no one in the audience noticed but I noticed it.
and having less gap (I didn’t say no gap) will be great for the music and for not having to always find complicated solutions with modifiers and cs per scenes that takes most of the time when creating presets on the fm3

As long as the birds are singing,
As long as the fish can swim,
As long as the sun keeps shining,
I will love you in the bright or dim.

As long as the wind keeps blowing,
As long as the ocean waves,
As long as the stars are shimmering,
You will have my heart enslaved.

As long as time keeps flowing,
As long as the sky is blue,
As long as planets are spinning,
My love will forever be with you.

Unless no gapless switching
I'll be trading you in.......💔

I have random gaps on some scenes even by having the same amp channel and just some modifiers plus drive block.
Are you sure? Any scene gap should be related to amp/drive channel switching.

And yes, the FM3 in fact does switch faster than many tube amps most notably a great many Mesa Boogie, Soldano, and Fender amps, even some Marshalls. My understanding is it was due to using LDR's which are slower switching and/or relays with a built in delay to mute a pop which can happen when switching channels. That said, despite the gap being small enough to not cause any issues for me, any improvement is greatly appreciated.

We're finally at the point in which it's becoming very difficult to implement the same updates the Axe III and FM9 are getting. That makes me think we're very near the end of the life cycle for the FM3. Might be time to trade up before the value plummets.

We're finally at the point in which it's becoming very difficult to implement the same updates the Axe III and FM9 are getting. That makes me think we're very near the end of the life cycle for the FM3. Might be time to trade up before the value plummets.
I don’t think necessarily that way FM3 does a lot
It can still ll likely fit amp updates , drive updates etc for a while
Where the issue lies is the reverb and delays
The FM9 not only has 50% more power but also uses dedicated cores to handle the verb and delays ,
So while there might be one or 2 things FM3 can’t do in the future I don’t think it is EOL yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom