FM3 Firmware Version 6.01 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a comment made by Fractal when they were introduced in the FC Mk II units saying that the change was only for the controllers because of shipping issues …

They have also done work on the front panel it seems, but being a small and busy company probably means everyone gets to wear multiple hats and they don’t have a lot of spare time…

Post in thread 'Song title in large display?'
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/song-title-in-large-display.187504/post-2323000
Sure hope they can get back to this project. It would be so helpful on stage for these old eyes!

I don't know if the Dirty Shirley was one of the amp models that got tweaked with the 6.X update, but my DS preset sounded so in-your-face I could hardly believe it. It was great before, but there was so much more life and dynamics. Even compressing the snot out of it - touch sensitivity was still there. I played it for hours last night. Kids, YMMV... but kudos to the team - all my custom presets sound fantastic.

I don't know if the Dirty Shirley was one of the amp models that got tweaked with the 6.X update, but my DS preset sounded so in-your-face I could hardly believe it. It was great before, but there was so much more life and dynamics. Even compressing the snot out of it - touch sensitivity was still there. I played it for hours last night. Kids, YMMV... but kudos to the team - all my custom presets sound fantastic.
All the amps got updated and IMO
They sound and feel better if you just pull up something like a 5153
Match the speaker impedance curve and grab a matching cab
And honestly there is very little tweaking you need to do from the default settings

Loving everything so far, all of it sounds way better than it should with me playing.

One question, though. With the Paragon wah (which sounds awesome!), when set to auto engage (no matter what the speed/pos. setting or update rate is at) there's a noticeable lag when turning expression pedal to heel down before the wah "disengages" and normal, for lack of a better term, sound continues. Much more pronounced than with the other wahs.

Is this to be expected or maybe just user error? Maybe it's Maybelline? In any case, thank you FAS!

Loving everything so far, all of it sounds way better than it should with me playing.

One question, though. With the Paragon wah (which sounds awesome!), when set to auto engage (no matter what the speed/pos. setting or update rate is at) there's a noticeable lag when turning expression pedal to heel down before the wah "disengages" and normal, for lack of a better term, sound continues. Much more pronounced than with the other wahs.

Is this to be expected or maybe just user error? Maybe it's Maybelline? In any case, thank you FAS!
Look at your Auto Engage setting. You have options for Fast, Med and Slow.

Look at your Auto Engage setting. You have options for Fast, Med and Slow.
Thanks, but I had indeed looked at those settings (and perhaps worded it poorly in my op). It's beginning to look like operator error; the Paragon just has a much deeper minimum frequency so maybe that plays a part in introducing a lag for the normal tone to bounce back into place, or some such stuff. Maybe just a matter of recalibrating and syncing my ankle and picking hand.

Thanks, but I had indeed looked at those settings (and perhaps worded it poorly in my op). It's beginning to look like operator error; the Paragon just has a much deeper minimum frequency so maybe that plays a part in introducing a lag for the normal tone to bounce back into place, or some such stuff. Maybe just a matter of recalibrating and syncing my ankle and picking hand.
You’re definitely correct that the Paragon goes way down in frequency. That’s its “special purpose” Sort of.🙂

You’re definitely correct that the Paragon goes way down in frequency. That’s its “special purpose” Sort of.🙂
Sure does! It's also the reason I like to keep that minimum frequency at the default, the growls you can get with it are pretty fun.

Probably “placebo effect” but it feels like the Triaxis models also got some extra love in FW6. By golly they are smooth….

Installed, work like a charm. Paragon is an interesting filter... I've never played the real one, seems to work very well with high gain for deep synth like sounds.... excelent!!!

No, I agree with you. There is a noticeable gap between hitting heeldown and bypassing the wah.

No, I agree with you. There is a noticeable gap between hitting heeldown and bypassing the wah.
You want a little delay before it triggers otherwise it'll be constantly triggering when rocking the wah and hitting the stop. Whether using 5% or 95% for the off value when auto engaging, if it triggered instantly it'd be a very obvious and unpleasant change in the sound.

Using the Paragon, when set to "Fast Pos" the delay seems to be somewhere between 0.65…1 second on my FM3, based on using a stopwatch and testing multiple times, but the times appear consistent for other wah types as I doubt that the speed is type-specific. I don't find <1 second an objectionably long time as I use the slow (~3 seconds) or medium (~2 seconds) position setting to avoid those false "off" bypasses.

See Alternative to Auto-Engage for an… uh… alternative to auto-engage.

Last edited:
You want a little delay before it triggers otherwise it'll be constantly triggering when rocking the wah and hitting the stop. Whether using 5% or 95% for the off value when auto engaging, if it triggered instantly it'd be a very obvious and unpleasant change in the sound.

Using the Paragon, when set to "Fast Pos" the delay seems to be somewhere between 0.65…1 second on my FM3, based on using a stopwatch and testing multiple times, but the times appear consistent for other wah types as I doubt that the speed is type-specific. I don't find <1 second an objectionably long time as I use the slow (~3 seconds) or medium (~2 seconds) position setting to avoid those false "off" bypasses.

See Alternative to Auto-Engage for an… uh… alternative to auto-engage.
Note that the wiki also says:

These settings pass the unmodified signal at the heel-down position and switch to 100% processed sound when moving the pedal while retaining the expression pedal's regular functionality. Note that this only works with effects where the heel-down position sounds like the unmodified direct tone and which have a Mix parameter. This rules out the Wah block.

Note that @Admin M@ has another trick for this when using the Wah. I believe it's included in the Devin Townsend GoT preset and at least one of the factory presets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom