FM3 Firmware Version 3.03 beta 1

Just a question! Does using the ultra res settings for the cab use more CPU. I'm sorry if this has been asked before. This beta seems good , especially the new drives

I just finished playing and tweaking a bit with the new beta. Firstly, I a/b’d my output 2 with my output 1 and had no issue. I was a little concerned because I really on out2 for my personal monitor at gigs. I’m, so far, happy to say that’s working just fine.

Secondly, UltraRes cabs... wow. Honestly I didn’t think I’d be able to tell the difference from standard, but with my presets, it’s apparent and outstanding. My favorite cabs/IRs are Leon Todd’s v30 mix and the 5153 mix #1 and both of those in UltraRes sound fantastic. This is actually the reason I logged in to the forum this evening—to rave about the UltraRes cabs.

Lastly, the drives are definitely improved. I prefer to use the vast array of killer amp models for my gain sounds, but I admit that that improved Drives seem to do “that thing” boosting a dirty amp just right now. In my opinion, they sounded good before, but I didn’t really use them, but now I’ve added a drive block with the precision drive to a scene in my main preset and I’m really digging it.

Sorry for the long post, but I’m very pleased and I wanted to gush about it a little.

My out2 is cranked.

Weirdness on the IRs. Sometimes they show up green, sometimes purple.

Are all the factory IRs that come with the FM3 UltraRes? Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
I just finished playing and tweaking a bit with the new beta. Firstly, I a/b’d my output 2 with my output 1 and had no issue. I was a little concerned because I really on out2 for my personal monitor at gigs. I’m, so far, happy to say that’s working just fine.

Secondly, UltraRes cabs... wow. Honestly I didn’t think I’d be able to tell the difference from standard, but with my presets, it’s apparent and outstanding. My favorite cabs/IRs are Leon Todd’s v30 mix and the 5153 mix #1 and both of those in UltraRes sound fantastic. This is actually the reason I logged in to the forum this evening—to rave about the UltraRes cabs.

Lastly, the drives are definitely improved. I prefer to use the vast array of killer amp models for my gain sounds, but I admit that that improved Drives seem to do “that thing” boosting a dirty amp just right now. In my opinion, they sounded good before, but I didn’t really use them, but now I’ve added a drive block with the precision drive to a scene in my main preset and I’m really digging it.

Sorry for the long post, but I’m very pleased and I wanted to gush about it a little.
What's the 5153 mix? Stock cab or 3rd party?

Recorded some impulses with a friend last weekend. We were chasing after a 100 w Marshall tone with more preamp and less power amp distortion: JMP 2204, drive at 5, master volume around 3, master volume trim at 0.5, bass at around 8, M/T/P around 5-5.5, JCM 800 cab w/ G12M70 speakers (hard to find impulses for this one, that’s why we were making our own), Les Paul style guitar with low output neck pickup & high output bridge pickup. Push the amp with a TS808 for some dirt (drive around noon, tone cranked, level around 5-6). This has been my go-to sound for some time.

This was the first time changing the preamp tubes REALLY made a difference for me! It actually changes the tone a lot. We settled with 6550 tubes, since they sounded more articulate and had a more pleasant high end compared to EL34 and others. Also less low end, which makes the bass notes sound even more tighter and spanky.

I love this machine. Can’t wait to get Cygnus ported.

My out2 is cranked.

Weirdness on the IRs. Sometimes they show up green, sometimes purple.

Are all the factory IRs that come with the FM3 UltraRes? Am I doing something wrong?
It’s previously been stated all the factory cabs are UR capable and there is just a cosmetic bug in edit making them show up green

This was the first time changing the preamp tubes REALLY made a difference for me! It actually changes the tone a lot. We settled with 6550 tubes, since they sounded more articulate and had a more pleasant high end compared to EL34 and others. Also less low end, which makes the bass notes sound even more tighter and spanky.

Do you mean because of UltraRes IRs? Swapping tubes never seemed to make a difference for me (either pre or power), so I'm stoked that you can hear a difference with UltraRes.

Still a final beta though , i would give it a few weeks to FM3
maybe by months end if i had to guess
It's a release candidate which means it will be the final version unless there are new bugs found which require a new build and a new release candidate with these bugs fixed.

I just played with the new drive pedals in FM3 Edit (simple preset with looper after the input and switched from one drive pedal to the other!) and experienced a bigger problem with the 'Full OD' pedal:
At first I was wondering who was the sound hardly changes if you change the 'Drive' from 0-10. When I turned the 'Tone' and "Drive" pot for a while, an infernally ugly screeching distortion suddenly appeared, which could not be turned off even at Drive = 0.
The whole thing happened with under 60% CPU utilization.
I had to switch off the FM3 and restart it to fix the error. To get to the bottom of the matter, I played around longer with the Full OD after the restart and had the same problem after about 15 minutes. It is interesting that the error remained when switching the block to other, diode-based drive pedals. Other based pedals, such as the 'FET Boost', worked normally. I then also opened the second drive block and loaded the 'Full OD'. Here it worked, but the error persisted in block 1! I had to do the power cycle again, then everything worked again. I also recorded a small audio clip, but I don't know how to upload the file.

Attachments

• Drive Test Problem.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 6
Wow! What's up?? :)

Crazy to think we are both on the Fractal Train speeding madly into the future now, eh?? :)

Hope all is well with the Fam, and life in general. 🤘🤘

Wow! What's up?? :)

Crazy to think we are both on the Fractal Train speeding madly into the future now, eh?? :)

Hope all is well with the Fam, and life in general. 🤘🤘
Hey man! So glad to see you're on here! I feel like this train was inevitable, but I have to say how good it is took me by surprise.

Life is good! Hope all's well with you and hope to be seeing you around here! 🍻

Back
Top Bottom