FM3 does not work as audio interface after update

VaidasG

Hi,
recently I updated FM3 firmware to v7 and also Windows USB Drivers. The unit works fine on its own, but when I connect it via USB to my PC with updated drivers and try to use it as an audio interface my PC freezes for like 30 seconds. No mouse movements, keyboard lights do not respond etc. Then it starts to function for couple of seconds and back to freeze again. When I turn the power of FM3 PC is back to normal instantly.
I connected FM3 to my laptop with old Windows USB Drivers and everything works as expected. So probably the problem was introduced with new Windows USB drivers.
Where can I find old windows USB drivers? Any other suggestions to solve the problem?

Hi,
recently I updated FM3 firmware to v7 and also Windows USB Drivers. The unit works fine on its own, but when I connect it via USB to my PC with updated drivers and try to use it as an audio interface my PC freezes for like 30 seconds. No mouse movements, keyboard lights do not respond etc. Then it starts to function for couple of seconds and back to freeze again. When I turn the power of FM3 PC is back to normal instantly.
I connected FM3 to my laptop with old Windows USB Drivers and everything works as expected. So probably the problem was introduced with new Windows USB drivers.
Where can I find old windows USB drivers? Any other suggestions to solve the problem?
I think something is up with your PC. I can’t think of a driver failure mode that would lock u your PC.

USB 2.0? I have this problem in Winows 10. It works fine in Windows 8.1
I was using USB 2. Now I tried with USB 3 and so far everything works fine so thank you for the tip. But then I tried again the previous USB 2 port and now it works fine too so it is quite strange. Then I tried another USB 2 port and it also works with no problems. Used the same cable.

Just to let you know, the problem was persistent for couple of days, it was not a one time incidence.

Mine has done this for months. Even FM3 Edit freezes the computer a lot if the FM3 is on if a web browser is open, or even if a window pops up to save a file. Trying to use it as an interface is basically useless. It is an older Win 10 computer.

However, my Axe II works fine, so I know the USB port and cable has to work fine. I also use the same port and cable with a Presonus interface, and it works fine. Only the FM3 brings the whole OS to a standstill.

Mine has done this for months. Even FM3 Edit freezes the computer a lot if the FM3 is on if a web browser is open, or even if a window pops up to save a file. Trying to use it as an interface is basically useless. It is an older Win 10 computer.

However, my Axe II works fine, so I know the USB port and cable has to work fine. I also use the same port and cable with a Presonus interface, and it works fine. Only the FM3 brings the whole OS to a standstill.
OK, so I wanted to try this again after reading this thread. Tonight I tried a different USB port on the other side of my laptop, and it worked a lot better. I had it working as an interface in Reaper, and I was playing around with some amp sim VSTs. I swear I tried this before many months ago, and it didn't help. Not sure why one side works better than the other side. My Presonus interface works fine on that side. Maybe there was a Win10 update at some point which fixed the error. I seem to remember a Windows update messing this up a year or two back.

Hi,
Yep I had this when I first started using the FM3. The laptop I was using at the time worked with everything else properly including my Helix floor, but it messed about when the fractal was connected.

The solution - use a newer more powerful laptop, buy a brand new USB cable. I don't know which of those had more impact on the FM3 working again but it's bullet proof now. I suspect it was the computer.

Back
Top Bottom