FM3 Basic Questions

Have consulted manual, read relevant threads & still confused

Could someone explain this like I'm 5? Troubleshooting but stuck

Trying to make this short and to the point:

-Added too many presets from Axe-Exchange
& got flashing red full capacity warning

-How can I walk myself backwards to erase
unwanted presets?

-Just bought a few Moke's presets ( Kiss & Thin Lizzy)
and having trouble with muted/no sound b/c of overextended capacity

-Can I "override" no longer wanted presets with Mokes presets?

The FM3 can’t run what the Axe and FM9 will. It’s best to stay at 80% or below. As the firmware evolves the cpu use goes up, although the last update actually saved cpu. Did you buy FM3 presets? Some older presets won’t work on todays firmware. You’re not at too many presets capacity, you’re running too much in your presets. You can fill every slot and no more. Not possible to load too many.

You can import Axe and FM9 presets but you will need to delete effects and do things like selecting economy mode for reverb or standard cab instead of Ultrares to get down to 80%. The big users are the pitch, plex, multi delays etc. Within something like the plex, some modes use more than others. Even some drives use more cpu than others. There are also some incompatible blocks that the FM3 won’t load. What I do is delete stuff to get it to run and then save the amp blocks or anything else I want. You’ll get a feel for it.

The limit is 80 because the process requires 20% to run the unit. If you bought FM3 presets recently and they won’t run, contact the seller. To delete presets, open the preset manager which you’ll see on the page where you select presets. Download all the Gifts of Tone stuff, there are some gems in there and they will all run ok.

-Added too many presets from Axe-Exchange
& got flashing red full capacity warning

-How can I walk myself backwards to erase
unwanted presets?

-Can I "override" no longer wanted presets with Mokes presets?
Like your'r 5... The number of presets is not related to CPU warning. The presets are stored in mass memory. When you recall/play a preset, the unit load the preset into "CPU registers". CPU process each block in the preset. Each block eat a certain amount of processing power. The CPU usage is the sum of the each block processing power, plus an amount for various tasks. It is recommended to stay within 80-85% CPU usage. When you exceed the limit, a warning may pop up or the block could be "frozen" or unit can be muted... If you had a CPU warning, try to delete unused blocks. Or lower block "quality" (in the reverb, for example.... or delay...). Even controllers eat up CPU.

Yes I bought the Moke's presets specifically made for FM3

Running at 74% capacity now & only using FM3 (no fc-6 or expression pedal)

After importing Moke's presets, Scenes appear lit up but zero sound

Have deleted a number of blocks / presets won't ever use

Still no sound from presets after trying to import correctly to FM3

Yes I bought the Moke's presets specifically made for FM3

Running at 74% capacity now & only using FM3 (no fc-6 or expression pedal)

After importing Moke's presets, Scenes appear lit up but zero sound

Have deleted a number of blocks / presets won't ever use

Still no sound from presets after trying to import correctly to FM3
Did you turn up the Output knob on the front?

As in Levels 1 and 2 directly above screen?
Yes those knobs
There’s no need to delete presets.
what is the CPU usage of the preset with no sound
Have you rebooted the FM3 after it locked up?
Possibly Moke’s presets are using a modifier on a setting that controls volume or gain and is expecting an expression peddle.

Yes, that's correct, just issue with those. Could culprit really be that the 2 Moke's presets are
expecting an expression pedal? Just trying to use "Detroit Rock City" main rythmn Scene 1
with no Wah or anything. Also "Boys Are Back In Town" scene 1 & 2 don't use wah that I know of

Chose presets for high output pickups as am using Gibson LP MM with single P90

Yes, that's correct, just issue with those. Could culprit really be that the 2 Moke's presets are
expecting an expression pedal? Just trying to use "Detroit Rock City" main rythmn Scene 1
with no Wah or anything. Also "Boys Are Back In Town" scene 1 & 2 don't use wah that I know of

Chose presets for high output pickups as am using Gibson LP MM with single P90
Go into the blocks (probably something that would control volume or gain) and see if there’s a parameter set to zero that should be higher. The button will have an orange lit dot which means there’s some (preset specific) modifier applied. Also, don’t hesitate to contact Moke. He’s a cool dude and will help.

@unix-guy help me out if I’m not explaining this quite clearly or correctly.🥴

Thanks for the tag @unix-guy. I might have missed this.

@swiftkevin95 There is a 'Contact' tab at the top of my site if you ever have any questions or issues. There is also a video on the front page of my site (scroll down a bit) that demonstrates how to correctly import my IRs (and presets) using an AX8. But the process is nearly identical for all units.
  1. Have you read through the included 'Description' PDFs?
  2. Have you imported all of the included cab IRs into the correct User Cab slots? (as indicated in their file names)
  3. You will need to import the included 'Global Custom Scales' into the correct slots (as indicated in their file names) before the harmonies will function.
  4. I would think that your P90 would fall into the Medium (or Low?) output category.
  5. The latest (nc) versions will make sound, but you may loose some function assigned to Pedal 1. Wah, Whammy, etc.. But in most cases, I provide a Pedal-less alternative, when possible. An extra Scene(s), a Control Switch, etc...

Last edited:

If you bought the “Boys Are Back” preset, you have to import the custom scales.

Like your'r 5... The number of presets is not related to CPU warning. The presets are stored in mass memory. When you recall/play a preset, the unit load the preset into "CPU registers". CPU process each block in the preset. Each block eat a certain amount of processing power. The CPU usage is the sum of the each block processing power, plus an amount for various tasks. It is recommended to stay within 80-85% CPU usage. When you exceed the limit, a warning may pop up or the block could be "frozen" or unit can be muted... If you had a CPU warning, try to delete unused blocks. Or lower block "quality" (in the reverb, for example.... or delay...). Even controllers eat up CPU.
If you are close to a preset almost working, you can also delete all the blank shunts (that do not contain a actual block. it will cut the CPU a little.

Back
Top Bottom