FM3 and Direct Box

metalgarth

Inspired
When running the FM 3 straight into a mixer for recording is a Direct Box needed or not? If so what advantage does this give the end user?

When running the FM 3 straight into a mixer for recording is a Direct Box needed or not? If so what advantage does this give the end user?
Actually, it depends on who's running sound. Sometimes you get a sound guy who doesn't know that he can trim the mixer's inputs, so he runs the channel wide open as if there were a mic on the other end. When you get someone like that, you need to severely cut back your level. In that case, a DI box can let you deliver a mic-level signal to the board. Fortunately, those situations are rare. So most often, no, there is no benefit to dunning a DI box with the FM3.

Actually, it depends on who's running sound. Sometimes you get a sound guy who doesn't know that he can trim the mixer's inputs, so he runs the channel wide open as if there were a mic on the other end. When you get someone like that, you need to severely cut back your level. In that case, a DI box can let you deliver a mic-level signal to the board. Fortunately, those situations are rare. So most often, no, there is no benefit to dunning a DI box with the FM3.

I've found it useful when going direct to old mixing desks manned by people who don't necessarily know what they're doing as Rex states above. The other issue it can help with, is where the desk has global phantom power. This is the case in our rehearsal space; vocalists mic, (he owns the rehearsal space btw) requires 48v. When that is turned on it applies 48v to all of the inputs. A DI box will block this and I like that for peace of mind. I believe it won't damage the unit but I'd rather take that out of the equation. Also a DI box is something that's easy to carry and can be a useful bit of kit to have around.

Mind you all of this is irrelevant when you've been locked down for the last 7 months.

playing this weekend i'm playing at a well known club in LA - however, the production (including FOH) have been unresponsive :(
questions like "can i just run to FOH (using my FM3)?" have gone unanswered...oh and we are band 3 on a 5 billing... 🤦‍♂️
(they charge $50/hr for load-ins before doors:oops:)

i'm planning on grabbing one of the backline mic feeds and plugging in my FM3 (asking for forgiveness here :p), and it's good to know that a 48v to all inputs wont harm the FM3. given the lack of venue feedback, i may just send the FM3 out into/through my Walrus Canvas box for the proverbial "peace of mind" :)
thank you for all of the information everyone

playing this weekend i'm playing at a well known club in LA - however, the production (including FOH) have been unresponsive :(
questions like "can i just run to FOH (using my FM3)?" have gone unanswered...oh and we are band 3 on a 5 billing... 🤦‍♂️

i'm planning on grabbing one of the backline mic feeds and plugging in my FM3 (asking for forgiveness here :p), and it's good to know that a 48v to all inputs wont harm the FM3. given the lack of venue feedback, i may just send the FM3 out into/through my Walrus Canvas box for the proverbial "peace of mind" :)

Hey Eddy, Which club? I can probably give you a heads up, I've played every venue out here in LA with all fractal products

I wouldn’t worry about it - any competent crew at a venue with a decent PA will be able to handle your input to the PA with no advance coordination/communication. It’s one of the easier things to amplify through a PA.

Many FoH will want you to go through their DIs. There are potential advantages to using a DI, like minimizing cross-talk with mic lines in the same snake (by knocking the level from line down to mic), having a balanced signal for the long run to FoH (even if using output2, which is not balanced), and the ability for staff to lift audio ground without having to change settings on your device. And there is little downside, so if they request running through a DI I wouldn’t argue with them. And while it’s sometimes good to have your own DI box available in case venue is running short, I wouldn’t insist on using it - I always defer to what they want to use.

I wouldn’t worry about it - any competent crew at a venue with a decent PA will be able to handle your input to the PA with no advance coordination/communication. It’s one of the easier things to amplify through a PA.

Many FoH will want you to go through their DIs. There are potential advantages to using a DI, like minimizing cross-talk with mic lines in the same snake (by knocking the level from line down to mic), having a balanced signal for the long run to FoH (even if using output2, which is not balanced), and the ability for staff to lift audio ground without having to change settings on your device. And there is little downside, so if they request running through a DI I wouldn’t argue with them. And while it’s sometimes good to have your own DI box available in case venue is running short, I wouldn’t insist on using it - I always defer to what they want to use.
thank you sir - sage advice!
i met with Bobby the FOH guy at Mint LA. super nice and supportative. i asked him, "instrument or line level sir?", he's like, "give me everything", so i reset my I/O's to +4, and off we went. i guess the DI boxes are limited (relatively speaking) in #'s, and with 4 KB's, he appreciated the WA Canvas that i had on the board. the FM3 sounded HUGE through the house mix, and when coupled with the H90, i was in tone heaven :)

Back
Top Bottom