Flanger

That is very cool sound Java! Great tip about exploring delay as flanger. Can you also use multi or megatap delays for that? My regular delays are already in use.
Still I wish we could come closer to strymon using flanger block.

Yes, use the band multidelay or the tape multi. The Tape is really cool! 4 flangers at once! You can get those resonant effects you like and still hear the tone very clearly. keep delay time very low and attach an lfo to the tape speed. Limit the sweep from about .75 to 1.25. Play with delay times, feedback (esp. neg values and mixing neg and pos), and panning.

FAMC Liquid Router with strymon timeline, big sky, möbius, eventide eclipse, and SUF Vilolet Ram's Head Muff.
i can route anything before, after, or in the loop of the Axe-fx. Usually I will run them in the loop. I don't use them a lot though. 90% of the time I stick with the Axefx.

for flanging, I pretty much always use the delay. I think the delay does a better job in a lot of cases.

Sounds similar to my rig, though mine isn't done yet. I had wanted the liquid router but have no luck buying anything from FAMC. . lol. So I had to get a switchblade GL. I also got an echolution 2 instead of timeline, and in place of eclipse and ram's head have HOg 2 and Adrenalinn III.

It is just easier picking a preset that is close on the Strymon stuff than figuring it out on the Axe. Use the Axe for stuff that the pedals aren't as good at and vice versa. The universe will not explode if we cross the streams. . .

just tried the delay block for flanging and wow! it is like day and night difference. Delay block does a lot better job than Flanger block, i wonder why is that.

Now i need to find which block does a great Phaser and Rotary and i'm all set :D

So this is weird...

The best flanger sound in the Axe is obtained by using a Delay block...
The best chorus sound is obtained... by using a flanger (see http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/57536-best-sounding-chorus-print.html)
I'm also getting some wicked reverb effects by using the mutildelay
Next up: phaser and rotary...

Why is that? Is it just because the standard blocks (chorus, flanger, etc.) don't have enough range? Not enough parameters? Surely it's not because the algorithms are not up to the task?

just tried the delay block for flanging and wow! it is like day and night difference. Delay block does a lot better job than Flanger block, i wonder why is that.

Now i need to find which block does a great Phaser and Rotary and i'm all set :D

Please post a preset. I'll see if I can change the flanger block to reproduce what you've done.

Here's the only patch I have with the flange. I never took to it either, but for some reason (maybe the amp or interaction with other blocks) I like it in this patch (replace the cab with the 2x12 stock top boost blue rw)

Attachments

• flange.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 13
Hey Cliff, Here is my preset using Delay as Flanger.
I also notice if i increase feedback i get this high pitched resonance sound that may be useful as effect. I cannot seem to get these sounds out of flanger block

Attachments

• Pop Guitar 15.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 25
Great news!!!!!! I was resorting to using my analogue pedals for flanger stuff. What a company!!!! Hanging out for the new cab pack as well. Thanks Cliff.

I also notice if i increase feedback i get this high pitched resonance sound that may be useful as effect. I cannot seem to get these sounds out of flanger block

I just tried loading this into axe -edit and there was nothing there as far as blocks? am i doing something wrong. thanks

I can make the flanger block sound just like that. I must be missing something.

Frankly I have no idea why people are complaining about the flanger. It is basically the same as the delay block but with finer control over the base delay time. It's essentially the same algorithm. You have 1 ms of delay time in that preset. That is well within the flanger's delay time. The only difference is the flanger uses a unipolar LFO so you would need to set the time lower but otherwise you can replicate that exactly using the flanger block. I did, and it sounds identical.

Cliff what about increasing feedback in my preset to about 80% can you replicate it too with flanger? Can you please post a preset so i know how to set flanger to sound like that? Thanks

Cliff what about increasing feedback in my preset to about 80% can you replicate it too with flanger? Can you please post a preset so i know how to set flanger to sound like that? Thanks

Of course. The FDBK knob is the feedback control.

I mean IF you increase Feedback in my preset, can replicate this sound in flanger?

Yes.

I think the problem is people set the Depth too high. For slow rates the Depth should be between 10 and 20%.

This sounds exactly like your preset:
Type: Digital Mono
rate: 0.092 Hz
depth: 15%
fdbk: 57%
time: 1 ms
mix: ~ 60%

I'm the guilty (maybe the most guilty, that is), but please take my comments with a grain of salt.

What I find is that I can't always get enough of the effect or that maybe sweep (phaser too) isn't quite wide enough or as pronounced as I might want at times. (but that's sometimes just me trying to experiment to see what I can do with the effects)

As with the real world, the amp/cab and rest of the signal chain greatly impact the ability of the modulation effects to come through.

I was getting an awesome phaser sound earlier. I'm going to replace that block with a flanger on the same preset and see what I can come with.

I'm still learning. So just bear with me, Cliff and everyone else. ;-) LOL

Thanks Cliff will try these settings tomorrow.

Yes.

I think the problem is people set the Depth too high. For slow rates the Depth should be between 10 and 20%.

This sounds exactly like your preset:
Type: Digital Mono
rate: 0.092 Hz
depth: 15%
fdbk: 57%
time: 1 ms
mix: ~ 60%

Back
Top Bottom