First rehearsal with my metal band and 12MA last night

hunter

Experienced
I have to say it was a full success. I was hearing myself SO WELL, and the little bugger was really pumping out some amazing low end. It wasn't short of punch in any way compared to the VHT2502 and Marshall 4x12.

I always felt that I was really loud and was enjoying the sound so much, while feeling a little guilty, but then I asked the other band members and they said it was fine, I could even turn it up a bit more. Must be the fact that it's pointing up at me that they are not so negatively impacted.

I ended up playing most of the rehearsal with a Recto Red patch that really cut through with its lower mids punch. Normally not my favourite amp but really works in this context.

Only negative point is that on the recording (I put my Tascam DR1 in the middle of the room on a chair) the other guitar is much louder and more direct sounding, as his cab (straight 4x12) was pointing direct at the recorder. My sound compared to this is further away and has more ambience, as it was directing up towards the ceiling rather than at the recorder, so recording is more reflections than the direct one. Maybe I can tilt it a bit next time so I get a better impression of the tone on the recordings.

In the break the keyboarder and drummer both went up to my monitor and turned it and and were asking: "What is this? Well, whatever it is, it's f%&n good!"

Overall, I am very impressed. It was really loud (not only "ear-loud", but also "stomach-loud" like a real rig would be) and I was just up half on the Axe and 2/3 on the monitor, so there's still quite a bit more to be had if needed.

You can just turn the monitor over to get the other angle which would be more horizontal but I don't think that would solve your issue. I find that I am loud enough for me because the monitor is pointed right at my noggin but the rest of the band tells me I could be louder if I want. Now I point the monitor more at the band (like a side fill) and turn it up!! Next time you are playing with your band, go over to the 4x12 and sit on the floor about 6-8 feet away and listen to how loud it is!

Back
Top Bottom