First Photo from James Webb Space Telescope

Not saying he was right, but I do think about this quote from Stephen Hawking:

"We don't know much about aliens, but we know about humans. If you look at history, contact between humans and less intelligent organisms have often been disastrous from their point of view, and encounters between civilizations with advanced versus primitive technologies have gone badly for the less advanced. A civilization reading one of our messages could be billions of years ahead of us. If so, they will be vastly more powerful, and may not see us as any more valuable than we see bacteria."

JWST’s 12 hour exposure vs Hubble’s 12 day exposure.

View attachment 104754
Its 100x more powerful.... but it's not able to look any farther than Hubble? We can just take Hubble shots and brighten things up with photo shop. I dont think a clearer brighter view gets you anywhere. I've seen this photograph of Hubble..... it's not as muddy as they have it in this side by side

Wow, 2 pages and no one made the dumb “wish we could of put that money into solving problems here on earth instead” comment yet!

This place is refreshing lol 😂
Well it is true that we just might have the instrument now to peer across the vast emptiness inside of the TFG skull? Not sure though.

Here's the full resolution verison:

Full Res, 4537 X 4630, PNG (28.51 MB)

Each one of those galaxies likely contains many millions of stars, each with potential orbiting planets. All in a dark patch of sky about the size of a grain of sand at arms length. Seems unthinkable that we would be alone in this universe.

I suspect we might be at the point where we need to weigh the increasing possibility that Infinity is in play.

Vaster than even the poets and mystics have fathomed the Universe(s) to be.

William Blake

William Blake​

scroll2.gif

"To See a World..."​

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence"

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

Looks like some gravitational lensing going on.
For a moment when I first saw the picture I thought, “Man, someone really forgot to load the JWST lens correction into Photoshop?”

“Webb’s image is approximately the size of a grain of sand held at arm’s length, a tiny sliver of the vast universe. The combined mass of this galaxy cluster acts as a gravitational lens, magnifying more distant galaxies, including some seen when the universe was less than a billion years old.”

We'll all be long gone by then but makes me a bit sad that one day, all these lights in the sky will drift so far from each other rendering each other invisible and the universe itself will turn dark. I'll enjoy these since I can. :)

Back
Top Bottom