First live gig with my AxeII tomorrow night! Static! Any tips?

TakaraGold

Experienced
Well guys tomorrow night is the first opportunity I'll be playing with my AxeII live, the gig is the "Sala SCD" in my hometown Santiago, Chile. This venue is great, as SCD is the Chilean Music Rights Society here, meaning the venue's acoustics and PA equipment are top-notch.
The style ranges from poprock to heavyrock and I'm the hired gun for Franco Ferrera's band, chilean composer and guitarist.
There's tons of heavy melodic soloing, clean passages, and dirty crunch rhythms. There is also a bluesy rock ballad and an acoustic rock tune with an electric solo.

I'll use a simulated acoustic tone for electric, a nice dark clean with the Shiva and a BB pre to change to a good driving crunch, then I have a great rhythm crunch with the Friedman Smallbox. My lead tone is the HBE.

I'm going straight to PA, I won't take my Frfr wedge. My global EQ is cutting a bit of lows and highs and it sounds great at either low or high volume.
You think the soundguy at the FOH will be ok with that EQ? Shall I try to set my output level as high as I can without clipping the mixing board? Should he set the eq for my line flat?

That is about it! Now it's time to go sleep and rest for tomorrow! Thanks for any tips and take care.

Leo Z

P.S: here is a link for the only instrumental tune, Fighters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always set my output to 12 O clock and let the FOH set the Eq Flat.
That as a basic start, from there you can tweak if necessary.

For FRFR, I always brought my FRFR with me. Then I'm sure that I have my guitar sound where I want and at the volume I want and am not depending on the monitor mix.
Besides that the FRFR spreads a little wider than normal monitor. It gives more freedom that way, so no worries about sound, just playing.

I say brought...because these days we use IEM with our own, self adjustable individual monitor mix, but that's another discussion.

Happy gigging!

PS: Very nice clip, I like Fighters!

I always start with my Output Knob at 3/4 and dial back if needed. Haven't had an issue yet.

FOH should start with their EQ flat and then adjust to fit you into the mix as necessary. Sometimes some FOH engineers apply their 'go-to' cuts on the guitar channel, but explain you've already cut on your end and they should start flat. If you cut and they cut then it can be too much.

Back
Top Bottom