first gig report with the Axe Fx/Port City rig

jb70

Experienced
Hey y’all,
I wanted to do a gig report after my first show with my new Port City/Axe FX rig. I was playing with a 9 piece soul/funk/Motown group at a bar/restaurant at Harrah’s in Philly last night. This is a very loud band (3 singers, 2 horns, 4 rhythm section) and it’s crucial that I have a great sounding amplifier that stays totally clean at high volumes. I’ve been trying to find a rig that would kill on any gig and still be small, portable, and lightweight enough to haul around the NYC area. I also have a 4 floor walkup at my place which is not too fun when I get home from a long gig at 3 or 4 am. I’m lucky in that I get to do a lot of types of gigs (jazz, funk, hip hop, Motown, rock, experimental, etc…) but I’ve always had to have a few different rigs for those gigs. I’ve been trying to find a simple but versatile setup for the last 10 years and I’ve finally found it.

First a little background: I had been using a Tone King Meteor 2 for this particular band for the last couple of years. It sounded fantastic for this type of music but was not too happening for jazz (the mids were way too scooped and the attack was kind of hard). Also, I was picking up radio and cb signals when I would try to use it with the Axe FX. I’ve also had a few fantastic amps that were great for my jazz gigs and sessions but were not powerful enough to use for gigs where I was playing with a full horn section, 4 singers and a powerful rhythm section.

So… I received the PC Pearl head and the 1x12 Wave OS cab 2 weeks ago and am now running the Axe Fx in front of it like a pedalboard. The first gig with the soul band was last night and this rig totally killed. I always ask the other musicians how it sounds to them and the bass player made the comment that I should’ve gotten this rig a year ago. Haha! He said that this setup was much fuller and rounder sounding with more mids and a sweeter top end than the Tone King. I do a lot of subtle, rhythmic single note stuff which would always get lost with the TK amp but I could hear everything clearly with this setup. And my lead patches were off the charts as well. The Pearl really emphasizes the beautiful delays, reverbs, chorus effects, etc... in the Axe FX. It’s like they were made to work with each other. Add to that the fact that this rig is so powerful AND portable and it was a no-brainer for me. Thanks to Daniel, Cliff, and Jeff (at Liquid Foot) for creating this amazing gear- this is a dream rig. Here are some pics:

DSCN0099.jpg

DSCN0097.jpg

DSCN0092.jpg

That rig is indeed killer! Did you consider the Jensen Blackbird, or is that a little too vintage sounding? I'm really wondering which one I should go with.

Have you ever thought of skipping the Pearl head and running a VHT 2/50/2 instead? That way you could use the Amp sims in the Axe.

How good does the Pearl sound at low volumes? What makes if different from the Sahana?

Scott Peterson said:
Very cool rig man. It even looks good too.

Thanks for sharing!

thanks scott. yeah, i'm really digging this setup. i will try to record some clips later this week and post 'em here

QuadAllegory said:
That rig is indeed killer! Did you consider the Jensen Blackbird, or is that a little too vintage sounding? I'm really wondering which one I should go with.

Have you ever thought of skipping the Pearl head and running a VHT 2/50/2 instead? That way you could use the Amp sims in the Axe.

How good does the Pearl sound at low volumes? What makes if different from the Sahana?

thanks quad! i thought about the blackbird but it is a little darker sounding and breaks up a little earlier than the jet tornado. i need the largest amount of headroom with this rig so i went with the tornado. i think the blackbird is a couple of pounds heavier too. i've heard that it is an amazing sounding speaker though.

i thought about using a tube power amp but again, the whole idea is to have the lightest, most portable rig i could find. i think the vht weighs at least 30 lbs so combine that with the rack bag and the axe fx and you have a 50 lb rack! i did try the axe fx out through the power amp section of a boogie mark IV and while it did sound good, it sounds much better to me running it this way. i still use the amp sims and cabs when i record but for gigs i find that i get my sound by using the axe fx as a virtual pedalboard. that's the beauty of this thing- you can use it in so many ways!

the pearl sounds fantastic at low volumes. i live in a big apartment building and can't really crank it up most of the time and i'm getting really amazing tones at very moderate volumes. i haven't had the chance to try the sahana yet but it's a single channel amp that is capable of getting into high gain territory. the pearl was designed to be a "clean" amp for those of us that want to use pedals (or axe fx's) to get our overdrive and distorted tones. the cool thing is that daniel at port city has an axe fx and he created the pearl to specifically work for this situation.

Back
Top Bottom