Firmware 13 BETA Feedback?

Well , since I personally tested with daw ir plugins with 24 bit resolution and 44,1 kHz 48kHz sampling frequenzy without hearing any remarkable difference I don't think anybody should expect any magic.

So we recently heard from Cliff that Firmware 13 BETA is out with the BETA testers and now has Ultra Res built in to it. For those of us chomping at the bit, can the testers give us their high level feedback so far? What would you say Ultra Res brings to the table? I would love to hear any kind of feedback on what we have to look forward to with FW13! Sorry to be so impatient, but like many of us, I so enjoy the FW ride!

Thanks to all!

I suspect most improvements going forward are going to be incremental. I mean, the thing sounds tits as it is - how much improvement can there possibly be? I think what we'll see is increased utility such as the XL, where there are more user presets, better I/O, etc. rather than any dramatic sonic thing.

Maybe nano machines making possible to Play like Steve Vai, think like Allan Holdsworth and be cool like Jimi Hendrix

I suspect most improvements going forward are going to be incremental. I mean, the thing sounds tits as it is - how much improvement can there possibly be? I think what we'll see is increased utility such as the XL, where there are more user presets, better I/O, etc. rather than any dramatic sonic thing.

But... this one goes to 13 :p

Well , since I personally tested with daw ir plugins with 24 bit resolution and 44,1 kHz 48kHz sampling frequenzy without hearing any remarkable difference I don't think anybody should expect any magic.
the differences can drastically vary from IR to IR. on some it's more obvious (to the better) on some a little less. at least that's what we've been noticing during beta phase. sure, to "expect magic" would be a bit over the top to demand. it's not like Cab IRs as we know them are unusable, but there was definitely room to push the boundaries even further...

Cliff has already mentioned there is no difference in the modeling code from v12.04beta to v13. They should sound the same. Based on the improvements in tone with 12.04beta, I certainly understand why:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...3-v12-04beta-quick-notes-tone.html#post985579

I GOT IT! .... I figured out when the release will be?!! The thirteenth, before Valentine's Day as a token of love to us all. What a sweetheart..... Here's some candy for you Cliff and will your firmware be mine :lol

conv.hearts.jpg

the differences can drastically vary from IR to IR. on some it's more obvious (to the better) on some a little less. at least that's what we've been noticing during beta phase. sure, to "expect magic" would be a bit over the top to demand. it's not like Cab IRs as we know them are unusable, but there was definitely room to push the boundaries even further...

Yeah, I agree. I think folks need to be realistic in what can be expected but also think there is probably room for expansion with a lot of IRs, etc. I know going from some of the stock IRs to my Ownhammers really brought out some great tones. With that said, some of the IRs didn't need changed.

Yeah, the thing already sounds TITS as it is..............................:lol :lol Some new lingo for ya.

I'm not sure Cliff realizes what hes done/doing to people, playing the waiting game. It's hard on the mind and body. lol
It would be much easier to wait knowing the product sucks or the updates are trash. Obviously, not the case here.

But so far Cliff hasn't put out anything that had me thinking, "This update sucks" or " I know the update is free, but I want my money back!"

The wait always ends up being worth it....but damn. Oh well, it's just another step toward GREAT TONES!

is it me, or does it seem after reading some recent cliff posts that there's something else we don't know about being released in 13, not that there needs to be, but my spider senses are tingling...

IIRC, bit depth and sampling rate were not the issue in regards to UltraRes vs. the IR's and CAB block we already have in 12.04b.

Cliff stated that in his testing, IR's of 8000 samples (approx. 167 ms?) were necessary to accurately represent the low frequency amplitude response.

But using standard convolution was too CPU intensive with 8000 samples. Part of UltraRes is a new algorithm in the CAB block to be able to process the 8000 sample IR's but not take a big CPU hit.

The other part of UltraRes is of course, new 8000 sample IR's to take advantage of the new CAB block algorithm :)

This might be sig-worthy.

geez 12.04B f'n rocks
here's an idea ....why don't you guys constantly looking for 13.0 actually go and Play your guitars,
like Cagey said "how much improvement can there possibly be?"

Back
Top Bottom