Firmware 1.11

I’m not talking deep amp parameters, but things like dialable bright cap and the boost feature within the amp (which I’m growing to really love).

That's one of my go-to tweaks. The amount of treble peaking needed for an amp at a given drive is highly dependent on the guitar. For example my guess is that the AFD100 was designed around a Les Paul. With my Suhr it's much too bright because that's a very bright guitar. So one of the first things I do with the AFS100 model is turn down the bright cap a bit.

That's one of my go-to tweaks. The amount of treble peaking needed for an amp at a given drive is highly dependent on the guitar. For example my guess is that the AFD100 was designed around a Les Paul. With my Suhr it's much too bright because that's a very bright guitar. So one of the first things I do with the AFS100 model is turn down the bright cap a bit.

How does that differ from changing the hi pass filter?

I believe because your are affecting the signal as it's going into the first gain stage(pre-amp tube). I just noticed we now have an IN EQ and an OUT EQ in the AMP block. If you really want to hear the difference, pick a frequency and cut/boost it in both these EQ's (one at a time). There you should hear the difference between EQing the input stage and EQing the output stage.

The bright cap is a treble bleed on the gain knob. The furter you turn gain down the more influence the highs get. They just passed the gain knob (walking through that treble bleed instead of getting stopped at the gain knob).
After that these highs go into the usual tone network, so the result depends on the bass, mid, high knob settings.

A high pass is not at that special point of the circuit where it is part of the 'knobs area'.

Been playing the presets for about 20 minutes. Holy shitballs!!!!!!!

What struck me first was the clarity of the attack and separation of notes in chords. The note attack is astounding. What struck me second was the improved "grain" (for lack of a better word) in the distortion. Grittier, yet more refined and complex at the same time. This is light years beyond the Ultra and a definite improvement over the II. What struck me third is the quality of the reverb. Again, holy shitballs!!!!

And I'm only 20 minutes in. Wow. I'm impressed.

Edit: 25 minutes in and I'm in pinch harmonic heaven. Amazing.

Edit: Pitch detector is noticeably faster. Fast intelligent harmony trills sound great.
Imagine what I felt upgrading from an Eleven Rack. It's unbelievably close to analog, just with much more convenience, variety, and features. Watching tone comparison videos don't even come close to showing one how it feels to jam on the Axe Fx III; it exceeded my expectations.

Imagine what I felt upgrading from an Eleven Rack. It's unbelievably close to analog, just with much more convenience, variety, and features. Watching tone comparison videos don't even come close to showing one how it feels to jam on the Axe Fx; it exceeded my expectations.

I agree. I upgraded from the AXE II mainly for the future updates. The tone comparisons had absolutely no weight in my choice of upgrading because I didn’t hear much difference but, man is it different!! I have been exceedingly pleased. So much so that I think I get depressed when I have to stop playing in order to go to work or look after the little ones. It is just so much fun, I don’t want to stop! Very inspiring!!

Imagine what I felt upgrading from an Eleven Rack. It's unbelievably close to analog, just with much more convenience, variety, and features. Watching tone comparison videos don't even come close to showing one how it feels to jam on the Axe Fx III; it exceeded my expectations.
Dang you upgraded from the 11R to Axe-Fx III? Quite the jump! :D

Dang you upgraded from the 11R to Axe-Fx III? Quite the jump! :D
Yes, and the Axe Fx III is worth every penny. I've wanted Fractal gear for a long time, and I wanted to make sure I didn't comment during the honeymoon phase. I've played on some amazing analog amps, and this thing is capable of emulating that and more.. not just the superficial aspects, but the "feel" that I vaguely described. Whether it's attack, response, separation, or what-have-you, the Axe Fx III is a different beast than I am used to. Mind you, I haven't even made a good effort to dial in the exact tone I am looking for.

Back
Top Bottom