Finally Updating to v7 tomorrow from 5.07

Guitarist9891

Inspired
Finally Updating to v7 tomorrow from 5.07.

I know I will probably have to do all my patches from scratch, is it safe to use axe edit? I read that it was not safe with v7, just wondering if I remember correctly or the issue has already been addressed.

Thanks!

There are issues still as you probably read here, but so far I haven't had any problem with Axe Editor (on Win7). BUT I am also not so advanced in my preset building. No global block/links etc (or what ever its called). Just normal tweaking. I just take it slow, meaning that when changing values, I let editor finishing transfer data before i continue tweaking or saving.

Heck, with FW7 I haven't even created that many presets on my own.. Im stiill on factory preset "plexi" playing old AC/DC songs ;)

I have used the yet to be updated Axe Edit w/ V7 w/o any problems. LikeMrGuitarabuse says, "take it slow".

He made a large collection of well-documented and awesome-sounding presets / instrument sims (if your guitar fits them anyway). So awesome that another company stole him away from here.

Do a search for these threads. Great reads!

There may still be a zip in there with all presets for 5.07.
They are among my fondest playing memories (including even v7) with many sounds I sadly haven't seen recreated yet...

Should you try them, put the cabs to lo-res or a lot will show CPU overload.

once you've loaded 7.0, go to your own presets, switch amp type to something else and switch back again
make sure your boost, bright, saturation switches are set as they should be then save the preset set

if you archive your presets in Axe-Edit
create a new folder in there ['7.0 my presets' or something similar that makes sense to you] and copy your newly saved presets into this archive folder
this is so you can retain your initial configs and keep them in reserve

then...
set about making any additional compensatory tweaks to get your tones back to how you like them
some folks found this difficult, I personally did nothing at all

then you can create a new preset folder [7.0 active presets] and archive these

After spending 4 days with V7 I downgraded to 5.07. Felt like I cam home. Played my old presets for a couple of days, was very happy, upgraded again to feel the difference. Downgraded within in the hour. There is something about V7 and V6 actually that doesn't work for me. Probably personal taste. I do like the idea of tonematching a lot though (only thing I am missing form the V5 firmware). I tried both to tweak my old presets, recreate them form scratch and create new sounds all together using new amps. V5 just works for me and my idea of great tone.

I am waiting for fractal to release some tonematched high quality V7 presets (as promiced in another thread). Then I will give V7 another go.
Thanks for asking!

P.S. My axe froze about 4 times while on V7...never happened before. I was connected to axe edit at the time so thats what it probably was (yes I downloaded the latest axe-edit). Lights on the axe just started to flash randomly and no sound. Had to restart the AXE.

Also using my Liquid Foot JR controller, with V7 the time it took to switch between presets became longer...

After spending 4 days with V7 I downgraded to 5.07. Felt like I cam home. Played my old presets for a couple of days, was very happy, upgraded again to feel the difference. Downgraded within in the hour. There is something about V7 and V6 actually that doesn't work for me. Probably personal taste. I do like the idea of tonematching a lot though (only thing I am missing form the V5 firmware). I tried both to tweak my old presets, recreate them form scratch and create new sounds all together using new amps. V5 just works for me and my idea of great tone.

I am waiting for fractal to release some tonematched high quality V7 presets (as promiced in another thread). Then I will give V7 another go.
Thanks for asking!

P.S. My axe froze about 4 times while on V7...never happened before. I was connected to axe edit at the time so thats what it probably was (yes I downloaded the latest axe-edit). Lights on the axe just started to flash randomly and no sound. Had to restart the AXE.

Also using my Liquid Foot JR controller, with V7 the time it took to switch between presets became longer...

Yeah, this is about to happen to me. I upgraded to V7.0 tonight and I am just not happy with the tones I am getting. There is something that V5.07 has that really nails the tones for me. Using mostly Mesa Boogie series sims, they took a big dive going from v5.07 to 6.0+. They just seem like they lack character, sort of dry and sterile sounding to me. But hey I guess if everyone else is super happy that is cool. It appears I will be staying on 5.07 indefinitely. Kind of a bummer, missing out on all the new goodies, but it still sounds dam good.

5.07 is the magic # :)

There was a thread by GM Arts where a post by Fractal Audio was they made that they tonematched some amps in a pro studio as some producer was replacing his amps with the AXE 2. They said they would post them on AXE-Change. Nothing yet. Once/if they do post those presets I'll try V7 again, maybe those presets will work for me maybe not. Still I would be curious to try them.

Back
Top Bottom