Fender Tone Master Pro....

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBH, my feeling is that it's currently overpriced and is designed to compete with Helix, which provides additional I/Os and connectivity compared to the ToneMaster. The ToneMaster's features place it closer to the HeadRush Prime, though the gapless switching is something other modelers are trying to solve.

You might note that FAS is stepping up with gapless switching, mentioning scene controllers as a way to achieve this. Plz view G66.eu's recent YT videos for additional info.
You don't have to sell me, friend. I have been a Fractal user for many many years and I am well aware of the features and workarounds. Completely gapless switching of presets is something that would be a game changer for many here and now there is a unit that does it. I think that will put pressure on Fractal and others to get there too which is, again, a benefit to all consumers.

Ironically, the "more user friendly" interfaces tend to seem to lack in usability and design that I've come to expect. For example, the visual on the position of several knobs next to each other conveys information more quickly than a percentage adjusted with a generic 0-100% slider.

[edit: mostly a complaint with a different company than fender]

And the combination rotary knob foot switch trend is a non-starter for me. Keep my feet and fingers separate on gear to be used live!

Audio algorithms seem no particular threat. I wonder how they do on latency.

Looks like the unit might be super convenient for some. I'd likely be very frustrated with it. Congrats to Fender on building an appealing unit that at first glance doesn't look like they cut corners on I/O. One might say they were copying off of the industry standard.

Last edited:
Great form factor but that’s it.

Tone wise there’s absolutely nothing more than other cheaper competitors.
I was not expecting anything special for plexis or other amp brand, but I thought those fender tones would be above all competitors. But it’s not, it sounds really artificial.

The UI does not seems to respond that well.

I’m not a fan at all of those phone like screens. May be fun on your desktop but playing outdoor shows? No way. Same for those trendy rotary foot switches.

It’s really expensive I don’t know who is gonna buy it, really.

But form factor, yes that seems great.

I wonder if they have an unbreakable USB connection? :)

I will be sticking with Fractal.
In the past, I've owned a (I can't even think of the name of the thing?) top of the range Boss multi-fx thing, and it was sh*t. It was a popular thing as the Fender one could be.
I know that I have had a few ups and downs with my good old AX8, but when anybody asks what I am using, I say, "Fractal Audio" with pride.
I would not say that with a Fender fx unit.

When I was young my Dad, who drove a Bentley, and his friend bought a newly fangled Ford Capri. Wow, I thought. A British Mustang. My Dad tutted and tutted again before making the comment, "Fashion changes, style remains".

The stylish ones amongst us will still be with Fractal for life.

Style.

.1038_p46_f.jpg

Fashion.

708514465.jpg

To recap, "Fashion changes, Style remains". Work it out.

I wonder if they have an unbreakable USB connection? :)

I will be sticking with Fractal.
In the past, I've owned a (I can't even think of the name of the thing?) top of the range Boss multi-fx thing, and it was sh*t. It was a popular thing as the Fender one could be.
I know that I have had a few ups and downs with my good old AX8, but when anybody asks what I am using, I say, "Fractal Audio" with pride.
I would not say that with a Fender fx unit.

When I was young my Dad, who drove a Bentley, and his friend bought a newly fangled Ford Capri. Wow, I thought. A British Mustang. My Dad tutted and tutted again before making the comment, "Fashion changes, style remains".

The stylish ones amongst us will still be with Fractal for life.

Style.

.View attachment 127422

Fashion.

View attachment 127423

To recap, "Fashion changes, Style remains". Work it out.

The real question is, what the hell are those guys looking at?

kept hearing "4 Loops"! and thinking wow!, till I checked a close up of the back panel and see they count Left and Right as two separate loops (unless those are TRS for L/R each which I kinda doubt but maybe) - lame to market it as a unit with "4 loops".
Maybe it's 4 mono loops that can work in pairs so you can have stereo loops?
That's my assumption... And many people have asked for exactly that on Fractal... Can't please everyone :)

Maybe it's 4 mono loops that can work in pairs so you can have stereo loops?
ya - 4 mono loops - but I'm kinda wondering about their language because when I see a modeller advertising X loops, my expectation is X stereo (as per Fractal product descriptions), or X x2 mono loops. Maybe those 4 mono loops can be placed completely independently from one another which I guess may explain the language / labels

Last edited:
Fender sent me one around 3 weeks ago. It's not a threat to Fractal Audio products in terms of tweaking depth or tone 'resolution' in my opinion but it does have quite a few charms such as familiarity (virtual replications of most classic amps and pedals) and the touch-screen interface which is mirrored exactly on the desktop App that they call 'Pro Control'. Spillover presets are cool and there's something about their models of the amp brands that they own - Fender, EVH, etc - that gives them clout in that department.

At the time of writing there were about 33 amps, associated cab IR's, and 60-70 common effects, mostly based on and sounding very like the real-world examples. The Mic/Line input is a nice touch along with the ability to run it in a separate signal path (which Fractal users have been able to do for ages). There is a very 'Avalon'-ish preamp model in there to help in that department too.

And the sounds? Pretty good, although I haven't used it on stage yet so will reserve final judgement until such time as I have. You won't find huge ambient reverbs or mega/multi-tap delays, etc... none of that. It's not in the same class as Fractal where those sorts of things are concerned. Not even close. And I don't think it's trying to be either. But the quality of the Fender amp models is very good as is the EVH stuff and even their 1959SLP does the trick here. The pedals, in my experience, all sound and react much like the real thing and that's reassuring too.

It's going to appeal to the user who is cashed up (they'll need to be because it's pricey) but perhaps too intimidated by the depth of our beloved brand to take the plunge on an Axe-FX III or FM9. The Tone Master Pro makes that dive easier because of its virtual 'real-world' interface and model library - technically challenged or 'relaxed' folks will be able to identify pretty quickly with what's going on under the hood.

Here are a couple of vids I posted today:

Sounds like all amps have the same power amp or something. The models mostly sound good at first, but hearing them past 10 seconds a little fatigue sets in with something in the mids/lows. Also sounds unnaturally compressed esp with their built in cabs. I know live I’d be cutting so much low end with those stock tones. I think so many players will disappear in the mix instantly with how it sounds.
I noticed the same thing when listening to Leon Todd’s demo. I would have passed it off as bad sound mixing on the video, but I’m very familiar with Leon’s level of video and sound production on his demo vids and there was a strange distance to everything and something in the low mids that seemed to get washed out quick.

I was totally blindsided by this release and have to give Fender kudos for taking the risk and entering the market at this level. There’s much of the design that seems well thought out and of solid build quality. As mentioned I agree and don’t think FAS has to worry, but strong competition is always good. I think the Quad Cortex people would be a little concerned. Especially if Fender supports the product well and builds a community. The UI and how it’s integrated with the hardware is impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom