Fender Tone Master FR10

hippietim

Axe-Master
So far this thing really just kicks ass. It sounds great, plenty of thump, looks great, tilt-back legs are very nice to have, and it's lightweight.

Comparing it to my RCF speakers, the FR10 holds it's own for guitar stuff no problem. I haven't tried any keyboards, prerecorded music, acoustic guitar, or bass through it yet though.

I saw some discussion about hiss with the FR12. I've got this thing loud AF right now and I'm just not hearing anything. It's very quiet.

I have not idea about the new modeler they released but they really hit a home run with this FR10.

I have been wondering about the 10 but I can't ever pull my mind away from the 12" speaker. Even though it's a different ball of wax when we are discussing powered monitors vs. a standard guitar cab celestion. 3 band eq and cut is a great addition.

I have been wondering about the 10 but I can't ever pull my mind away from the 12" speaker. Even though it's a different ball of wax when we are discussing powered monitors vs. a standard guitar cab celestion. 3 band eq and cut is a great addition.

@mikeyg is over right now playing through it with the FM9. He suffers from the same irrational guitar player aversion to anything but 12" speakers. I'm pretty sure he's going to order the FR12 and enjoy the extra weight and size for no reason. 😜

@mikeyg is over right now playing through it with the FM9. He suffers from the same irrational guitar player aversion to anything but 12" speakers. I'm pretty sure he's going to order the FR12 and enjoy the extra weight and size for no reason. 😜
I always used to use 12" speakers with my combos just 'cause, that's what everyone does. Then I played with a 1x10 combo that absolutely kicked butt and it changed my mind.

I am interested in the Fender cabs and haven't investigated them at the stores yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to get the 10" initially, for portability. It's for my own listening pleasure, the modeler feeds FOH, so the 10" isn't losing anything for the room's sound. Later, if I wanted to boost the stage sound or for stereo, I'd get the 12".

I appreciate your statement about the cabinet, that's high praise from someone who knows his sh*t. :)

So far this thing really just kicks ass. It sounds great, plenty of thump, looks great, tilt-back legs are very nice to have, and it's lightweight.

Comparing it to my RCF speakers, the FR10 holds it's own for guitar stuff no problem. I haven't tried any keyboards, prerecorded music, acoustic guitar, or bass through it yet though.

I saw some discussion about hiss with the FR12. I've got this thing loud AF right now and I'm just not hearing anything. It's very quiet.

I have not idea about the new modeler they released but they really hit a home run with this FR10.
Yes! Love mine too.

We ended up with treble at 11:00, mid/bass 12:00, and cut at 9:00 I believe, the eq is a great way to fix on the fly. We didn’t change the presets eq at all.

If you play in a two guitar band where the other guitarist uses a traditional setup, would the fender FR’s give any advantage over something like the atomic CLR in keeping up with stage volume?

I am using either one or two Xitone passive 1x12's powered via a 1000w Matrix amp. Love the flexibility of using passive as I can also power a traditional cab when required... So glad to see more vendors jumping on the FRFR band wagon... Might look at the FR10 as an alternate...

I too suffer from the “it can’t be loud or deep enough unless it’s a 12”. So no shit the 10” will keep up against drums and bass and another guitar? I know you guys answered this question already, but my brain is rejecting the verdict. I have a Celestion F12 cab already. I need another speaker for stereo at the house, and an easier carry to jams. One of the Fenders will be my Christmas gift this year. Maybe the 10”.

I too suffer from the “it can’t be loud or deep enough unless it’s a 12”
I used to think that, then I started looking at the frequency response for equivalent 10" and 12" speakers. There's not a lot of difference in the lows between the 10" and 12" Greenbacks:

G-10
1699823208040.png
G-12
1699823194063.png
The 12" is a bit more sensitive and louder but at 80-100Hz they're the same. The resonances are different and that might be what we notice when playing with them, and the sensitivity would make the 12" sound more full if the knobs were at the same position.

It'd be interesting to compare Fender's 10" and 12" cabs adjusting the knobs to compensate if their speakers have different sensitivity.

If you play in a two guitar band where the other guitarist uses a traditional setup, would the fender FR’s give any advantage over something like the atomic CLR in keeping up with stage volume?

I too suffer from the “it can’t be loud or deep enough unless it’s a 12”. So no shit the 10” will keep up against drums and bass and another guitar? I know you guys answered this question already, but my brain is rejecting the verdict. I have a Celestion F12 cab already. I need another speaker for stereo at the house, and an easier carry to jams. One of the Fenders will be my Christmas gift this year. Maybe the 10”.

Comparing a FR rig to a traditional rig is very situationally dependent. Are you carrying the room? Just how many speakers/cabs and how loud is the other guitarist? How big is the room? How big is the stage area and how are you monitoring the rest of the band?

A CLR, RCF, FR10, etc will carry a typical local bar no problem and won’t need to be as loud a traditional rig to fill a room due to the directionality of traditional cabs.

I play with one drummer and bass player that both play loud. My RCF can drown them out no problem. It can hold its own against a traditional guitar rig easily. I had the FR10 loud AF the other day - way louder than I ever play on stage. I’ve not played with anyone using it yet but it gets hilariously loud and the sound is great. I have no doubt it would hang with traditional rigs without problem.

Fwiw, I’ve carried a few rooms playing bass with a CLR and no bass in FOH.

The volume, range, and dispersion of FR cabs is really superior to guitar rigs.

Comparing a FR rig to a traditional rig is very situationally dependent. Are you carrying the room? Just how many speakers/cabs and how loud is the other guitarist? How big is the room? How big is the stage area and how are you monitoring the rest of the band?

A CLR, RCF, FR10, etc will carry a typical local bar no problem and won’t need to be as loud a traditional rig to fill a room due to the directionality of traditional cabs.

I play with one drummer and bass player that both play loud. My RCF can drown them out no problem. It can hold its own against a traditional guitar rig easily. I had the FR10 loud AF the other day - way louder than I ever play on stage. I’ve not played with anyone using it yet but it gets hilariously loud and the sound is great. I have no doubt it would hang with traditional rigs without problem.

Fwiw, I’ve carried a few rooms playing bass with a CLR and no bass in FOH.

The volume, range, and dispersion of FR cabs is really superior to guitar rigs.

I’m playing mostly at home. Some jams with friends and no gigging. The jams are no PA for anything other than vocals and the bass drum since the drummer brings a small kit. Sounds like the 10” will work. You most likely sold an FR-10 @hippietim

For anyone wondering what the weight difference between the 10 and 12 is, it is 2 lbs. The size is pretty close between the 2.

FR-12 28 lbs
18.13H 23.5W 9.88D
FR-10 26 lbs
17.3H 19.38W 9.63D

It can hold its own against a traditional guitar rig easily. I had the FR10 loud AF the other day - way louder than I ever play on stage. I’ve not played with anyone using it yet but it gets hilariously loud and the sound is great. I have no doubt it would hang with traditional rigs without problem.
Don't make me love you more.

We need a suite of tools/cabs/FRFRs that can fill the room and remove the need for traditional amps and cabs. It's not that I don't like those, it's just that tubes and tube-amps and clubs are changing so we, as players, need to adjust, and hopefully, as users of FAS gear, stay ahead of the changes. Let's lead the way!

I’m playing mostly at home. Some jams with friends and no gigging. The jams are no PA for anything other than vocals and the bass drum since the drummer brings a small kit. Sounds like the 10” will work. You most likely sold an FR-10 @hippietim

For anyone wondering what the weight difference between the 10 and 12 is, it is 2 lbs. The size is pretty close between the 2.

FR-12 28 lbs
18.13H 23.5W 9.88D
FR-10 26 lbs
17.3H 19.38W 9.63D

You will really appreciate the tilt back legs. It means you’re not blasting your ankles and fill the room at more reasonable volumes.

Back
Top Bottom