Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

Open source FR cab sounds awesome and all...
but...
I still find the idea of being able to buy an optimized "hot-swappable" preamp board for the existing FR-12 even awesomer... :sweatsmile:
I mean, as @WKSmith already said, the FR-12 is basically a great product with only a minor flaw, which could be optimized relatively easy with an updated preamp board. If Fender isn't interested enough into bettering their product themselves with the help of @WKSmith, why not make him a little money by buying his upgrade preamp board...
Anyways, should such a thing come into existence: I'm in 💯%
Thank you all!

Nice design! Elegant. This will work on the FR-10 as well correct? I’d have read through again but I think it was determined that they use the same amp even though the amp pcb’s are labeled FR-12 and FR-10.
There are differences between the two. If I do a replacement board, it would work in either one though.

I am still using the FR with my circuits as a development board ..and trying several different things. Maybe I will have some clips to share soon.

Any thoughts on a possibility of bypassing the crossover, swapping out the stock speaker and putting an F12X-200 in it's place and sending all power and frequencies currently being split between the woofer and tweeter to it instead.

Any thoughts on a possibility of bypassing the crossover, swapping out the stock speaker and putting an F12X-200 in it's place and sending all power and frequencies currently being split between the woofer and tweeter to it instead.
I'd be curious to see the FR cabinet's internal volume vs the 200's suggested volume, as well as their respective port tunings. I doubt the FR cab would be optimal for the 200 but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work.

What would be the goal though? Just a test or actually exploring the viability of such a mod? On the surface I'd think it would be much more efficient to build or buy a dedicated cab for the 200.

I'd be curious to see the FR cabinet's internal volume vs the 200's suggested volume, as well as their respective port tunings. I doubt the FR cab would be optimal for the 200 but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work.

What would be the goal though? Just a test or actually exploring the viability of such a mod? On the surface I'd think it would be much more efficient to build or buy a dedicated cab for the 200.

I’m looking forward to comparing my F12 cab to the FR-10 or 12. @hippietim kind of put me on the 10 bandwagon. Still skeptical but it’s slightly smaller and a little lighter. It will be my stereo complement to my F12 and also the out of the house carry.

Just for kicks! Interested to see how the onboard power amp does with a single F12 more than anything else?

Back
Top Bottom