Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

I'm a little confused. People are still getting hissy ones new from retailers, but some people have gotten the sneaky "fixed" versions. Are the less just ones just coming straight from Fender? And where are all these hissy ones coming from now when everywhere was out of stock for months?

I'm a little confused. People are still getting hissy ones new from retailers, but some people have gotten the sneaky "fixed" versions. Are the less just ones just coming straight from Fender? And where are all these hissy ones coming from now when everywhere was out of stock for months?
Maybe it's the price of a factory "patch-fix" that's messing with F-Corp.

I recall @Lysander saying that his fix is particularly expensive if you consider it in the context of mass production. The real cost-effective solution would be a complete redesign of the pre amp/EQ section, which was what @WKSmith chose to do (but in a more premium fashion, of course).

Maybe F-Corp chose to patch-fix just some units so the online bashing would stop/reduce. And then they returned to produce them in the old, cheap, hissy way.

Last edited:
Maybe it's the price of a factory "patch-fix" that's messing with F-Corp.

I recall @Lysander saying that his fix is particularly expensive if you consider it in the context of mass production. The real cost-effective solution would be a complete redesign of the pre amp/EQ section, which was what @WKSmith chose to do (but in a more premium fashion, of course).

Maybe F-Corp chose to patch-fix just some units so the online bashing would stop/reduce. And then they returned to produce them in the old, hissy way.
Nah i think they would roll out their fix and thats that. Not enough to gain by fixing only a couple.

I bought a FR-10 and FR-12 from Sweetwater about four weeks ago to compare with what I had. The FR-12 was quiet. The FR-10 had the hiss issue.

I had been occasionally checking stock of the 10 and 12 at Sweetwater and other places over the last few months and the 12 was sold out at times, but the times that I checked, the 10 was always in stock. I suspect Fender has sold more 12's than 10's, and if that is the case, the 10 I received may have been from an older batch that didn't have the fix.

Nah i think they would roll out their fix and thats that. Not enough to gain by fixing only a couple.
I honestly hope you're right.

But I wouldn't be surprised if what I've said is true, since F-Corp is literally losing money by applying this kind of fix without rising the price of the FR's.

The only way for them to not loose money while keeping the same pricing would be redesigning the pre-amp circuit. In fact, they would even increase their profits by doing so, since @WKSmith already showed us that there's a lot redundant and useless parts there which their sole contribution is to generate a lot of hiss.

But I wouldn't be surprised if what I've said is true, since F-Corp is literally losing money by applying this kind of fix without rising the price of the FR's.

The only way for them to not loose money while keeping the same pricing would be redesigning the pre-amp circuit. In fact, they would even increase their profits by doing so, since @WKSmith already showed us that there's a lot redundant and useless parts there which their sole contribution is to generate a lot of hiss.

It was a deliberate design. They needed to design it such a way to generate enough hiss 🐍 to improve the tone of the Tone Master pedal in an attempt to somewhat mask the low quality modeling/tone of it.
Fender drools Fractal rules.
Fender on the mat and Fractal is the bat.
Home Run Shut Up GIF by Campus Univers Cascades

Their annual price hike is coming if it hasnt landed already, dont forget lol

Back
Top Bottom