Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

@Lysander and @Deadpool_25
Are you guys also recording before after clips? Iā€™d love to see that (in addition to installation videos)

Uh, didn't even cross my mind, sorry šŸ˜¢ Sounds just as good as before the mod, with zero hiss, and IMHO a better reacting EQ section.

Stock settings closely match the original preamp's frequency response, too. And installation is straighforward - @WKSmith 's board is actually easier to fit in than the original.

Last edited:
Uh, didn't even cross my mind, sorry šŸ˜¢ Sounds just as good as before the mod, with zero hiss, and IMHO a better reacting EQ section.

Stock settings closely match the original preamp's frequency response, too. And installation is straighforward - @WKSmith 's board is actually easier to fit in than the original.
Thank you

I just received an FR-10. It has some hiss, but more troubling is that there is a buzz or vibration when hitting low notes that appears to be coming from the 10" speaker. I tightened the screws holding that speaker in, but it didn't help. I doubt this is "normal." Has anyone else experienced this?

Note the posts from MrMooney are gone...

šŸ˜‚

Bad Boy Dog GIF by Studios 2016

I just received an FR-10. It has some hiss, but more troubling is that there is a buzz or vibration when hitting low notes that appears to be coming from the 10" speaker. I tightened the screws holding that speaker in, but it didn't help. I doubt this is "normal." Has anyone else experienced this?

No, I have never heard a buzz coming from mine.

If you feel qualified:
Gently pushing the speakerā€™s cone to detect voice coil rub would indicate this issue.
Wash your hands thoroughly or better yet a pair of surgical gloves. Be careful.

What exactly would I be feeling for?
The speaker should move back and forth freely.
If when you are moving the speaker cone you feel or hear it is rubbing inside, then the speaker cone was either not mounted properly or if the voice coil was over-heated it could distort the ā€œinnardsā€ to the point it rubs.

Sixty pages in this thread and I've got GAS for V2 real bad. I don't even need an FR. Put it in a clear plexiglass case with nice knobs, and I'll just look at it and play with the knobs like an interactive museum piece. Maybe a battery with a random switch to make the clip light blink now and then.

The speaker should move back and forth freely.
If when you are moving the speaker cone you feel or hear it is rubbing inside, then the speaker cone was either not mounted properly or if the voice coil was over-heated it could distort the ā€œinnardsā€ to the point it rubs.
Thanks for your help. Not sure I felt anything. I'm returning for a refund and ordering one direct from Fender. The one I received had "202304" on the Fender Date label on the box. Hopefully Fender direct is newer stock with the fix.

So here is the latest update:
All of the parts should be in this week. I am just waiting on the final boards to arrive (edit: they just shipped) .. and a huge order of ICs (that have already shipped)

And here is some awesome news!

In less than 10 days, I have a meeting scheduled with Joe Satriani's management, to deliver his handmade V2 to him personally
... how completely humbling is that?

It's not an endorsement deal or anything beyond me wanting to hug his neck with humble thanks for over 35 years of inspiring my playing .. and just to give him something cool that I built for the FR-12 that I saw him playing live recently.

So we now have a third beta tester ..just as I am to start filling waitlist orders in only days. And if you wondered if there are any corners cut anywhere, your V2 will be exactly like the one I a building for an absolute legend.

You can believe F-corp is going to listen to his feedback ..along with all of ours. We are in really good company.

Thank you all for seeing this all the way through with me. It has turned out to be pretty dang cool.

ā¤ļø Liam

Last edited:
All of the parts should be in this week. I am just waiting on the final boards to arrive.. and a huge order of ICs.

In less than 10 days, I have a meeting scheduled with Joe Satriani's management and promoter ..to deliver his handmade V2 to him personally.

It's not an endorsement deal or anything beyond me wanting to hug his neck with humble thanks for over 35 years of inspiring my playing .. and just to give him something cool that I built for the FR-12 that I saw him playing live recently.

So we now have a third beta tester ..just as I am to start filling waitlist orders in only days. And if you wondered if there are any corners cut anywhere, your V2 will be exactly like the one I a building for an absolute legend.

You can believe F-corp is going to listen to his feedback ..along with all of ours. We are in really good company.

Thank you all for seeing this all the way through with me. It has turned out to be pretty dang cool.

ā¤ļø Liam
This is awesome! Good work!

... and perhaps I can share my Fractal moving harmonics pitch block with Joe.
I ripped this track in Moises and replaced everything except bass and drums.

The fractal pitch block can do the moving feedback at headphone level with an e-bow as the generator. I set it to the same intervals.

I just need to try it with the FR and some volume as the generator.

That Lydian intro section haunts my playing still. Since '89 y'all

All of the parts should be in this week. I am just waiting on the final boards to arrive (edit: they just shipped) .. and a huge order of ICs (that have already shipped)

In less than 10 days, I have a meeting scheduled with Joe Satriani's management, to deliver his handmade V2 to him personally
... how completely humbling is that?

ā¤ļø Liam

Well, that, in no way, shape, or form, sucks even one iota.... :) Congrats, d00D!

Back
Top Bottom