Favourite microphone choice

Fab8040

Experienced
Hi guys.. With the wide mic Solutions that we have with ir s i would like to know your favourite mic choice or combination expecially with high gain amps. It ll be cool to know with which configuration ( axis, distance) and with which cabinet. Thanks

I think most will agree with me when I say that the SM57 is probably the most versatile and popular choice. I like blending a 57 with a Royer 121 or a Sennheiser MD421 depending on the amp and IR. Usually, I stick to the 57+421 for Mesa/ENGL/Zilla cabs with V30s, and 57+121 for Marshall-type cabs with other speakers (Creambacks, Greenbacks, Blackbacks.). For mid-gain tones, I also enjoy the Beyerdynamic M160 with the SM57.

w.r.t. distance, I don't really like anything apart from the closest possible position for high-gain tones.

All of this is contingent upon your ears, rig, setup, gig, band, etc.!

Hi Fab,

If you want a bit of an insight into how the 57 & 421 (for example) may sound compared to each other, there are many IRs out there that were captured with both, and the filenames have the mic number in them. So.. If you can locate (say) half a dozen IRs the have both... listen to each with your favourite guitar and amp block. May give you some insight.

Thanks
Pauly

Hi guys.. With the wide mic Solutions that we have with ir s i would like to know your favourite mic choice or combination expecially with high gain amps. It ll be cool to know with which configuration ( axis, distance) and with which cabinet. Thanks

57+160, or whatever other ribbon is in the set, generally. 58+160 (or other ribbon) is nice, too, when available....

Lewitt MTP 440 dm or good ol' classic SM57.

If by high gain you mean, fast, aggressive metal, I would avoid ribbon mics at all costs. Will just end up having to mess around with low cuts and stuff imo.

(sorta random but also sorta related) Ola Englund, ever since he started using expensive mics his vids sound like a huge wet fart half the time. These ribbon mics sound good on the highs when you hear it by itself but always too muddy and not clear sounding. I'm sure most people probably disagree with me COMPLETELY here haha. He has a demo of the ENGL Fireball 25, when I watch the video for like 99% of it I'm just like eh this doesn't sound like a sound I would use, there was like a brief 3-5 seconds in the video where he decided to take the ribbon mic off and just let you hear the SM57 or I think SM58 in this case, and instantly, it's like lifting a blanket off the speaker to me and it sounds great.

I'm sure most people probably disagree with me COMPLETELY here haha.
I adore Ola a lot but his micing technique leaves a lot to be desired. I've even seen some videos where the mics are horribly out-of-phase with each other throughout the video and nobody apparently seemed to have batted an eye. I even bought one of his IRs that he has recently started shooting and selling for 5 bucks and boy was it a boomy, scooped mess.

If by high gain you mean, fast, aggressive metal, I would avoid ribbon mics at all costs.
Also agree with this a lot. A lot of the time, an SM57 on-axis, closest possible to the speaker, and a couple of inches off the dust cap just works best.

I adore Ola a lot but his micing technique leaves a lot to be desired. I've even seen some videos where the mics are horribly out-of-phase with each other throughout the video and nobody apparently seemed to have batted an eye. I even bought one of his IRs that he has recently started shooting and selling for 5 bucks and boy was it a boomy, scooped mess.

Also agree with this a lot. A lot of the time, an SM57 on-axis, closest possible to the speaker, and a couple of inches off the dust cap just works best.
He's trying to get an "amp in the room" sound with mics and it just doesn't work I think.

He has said more than once that he literally just "throws the mics in there"
I don't think that's a very good thing. Again, I really like his videos and I watch all of them. But I do think the tones he gets in a lot of his videos where he is micing a real cab need a bit more work. I mean how hard is it to find a sweet spot and stick to micing a cab in that position in a studio atmosphere? He's usually using the same three or four cabs. It'll take one or two good sessions to work out which mic sounds best in what scenario and position. Anyway, this shouldn't turn into an Ola thread! But point is, it's not that hard to consistently find a good mic position if one is regularly working in the same controlled environment. Ola doesn't seem to be doing that and it makes his videos sound not as great as they can be. His earlier work is a testament to the fact that he can do better with very little effort!

mostly came in here to see what others say... but while I'm here:
clean - SM57/E609+121, 4038+U47, C414+U47, C414+121
dirty - SM57/E609+121, 421+57, M160 all by it's lonesome
that said, it all depends on the irs... with some vendors I just trust their ears way better than mine and use their mixes.

Back
Top Bottom