Favorite software amp sims?

vejichan

Inspired
For those using sofware amp sims. What are your current favorites?

Mine are Line 6 Helix Native and Mercuriall ampbox.

I got really jaded by Neural DSP's Archetype plug ins because they sound great when you first buy them, then seem to become increasingly fizzy and artifact-ish as you grow to know them...... then they released the Plini-X.

It is truly wonderful (not to mention a free upgrade to Archetype Plini owners, which was really cool).

I used STL AmpHub for a year or so, I’ve had Helix Native for a long time (I got it with my Helix unit). I have STL ToneHub, I used to have the THU Slate Edition, I have a Plugin Alliance subscription which includes the BX amp sims. I’ve tried Mercuriall, Nembrini and a couple of the Neural ones.

Here are my thoughts:
AmpHub is cool but the tones seem to be a little lost in a mix.

Helix I am actually using this on a project where my FM9 just doesn’t seem to be getting the tones I want. Helix still doesn’t get to FAS modeling quality. I also use Native a lot for effects on other instruments in my DAW. There is something in how the amp breakup/distortion is modeled that I don’t like. Also it feels like Helix gets lost in a mix at times also.

Tonehub was my go to for a while, I liked the limited frequencies, I feel like the guitars sat where they should in a mix. The distortion is the same through out each pack regardless of the “amp” modeled or captured. Controls don’t behave like an amp and you can’t change cabs.

THU… moving on (same with Amplitube)

BX not impressive like I wanted them to be, especially the Herbert.

Neural I don’t get the hype. It worth the price of admission.

Mercurial & Nembrini I like most of what they offer and plugin wise I think they are in the conversation for the best options out there, especially when on sale.

I’ve said this many, many times and I know we’ll never see it but a FAS plugin would be incredible. It would blow competition away. I know pirating and reverse engineering is a concern for Cliff, maybe there are ways around, maybe you have to have a hardware unit as a dongle, I can’t code so I don’t know. I do know that even with as easy as reamping is with FAS units these days, still just having a plugin is so much more convenient.

Used to use Amplitube, their later stuff was decent, but Scuffham felt better.

Used Helix Native a little when I had the Helix floor I no longer have. Should check it out again, I hear their more recent models are an improvement.

But really, I'd rather play my Axe 3 than any of that. By a couple mega-universes.

But really, I'd rather play my Axe 3 than any of that. By a couple mega-universes.

Yeah...not sure I have used an amp sim since I got my AxeFX3. I used to use it for recording and for silent practice with headphones. I use my Fractal for both of those now.

I was thinking of getting something like the Fender Mustang Micro to use either on its own or as an audio interface for amp Sims so that sometimes I could just take my guitar and computer when I didn't want to bring along the AxeFX3. Is anyone using one of these.. either on its own or with amp Sims?

I probably tried them all (also had the FM3 and NDSP QC); the amp sims I use the most:
  • Neural DSP Fortin Nameless
  • Neural DSP Fortin Cali
  • Mod Sound Tubular
  • not an "amp sim" 100% but probably what I use the most - Neural Amp Modeler (NAM)

I probably tried them all (also had the FM3 and NDSP QC); the amp sims I use the most:
  • Neural DSP Fortin Nameless
  • Neural DSP Fortin Cali
  • Mod Sound Tubular
  • not an "amp sim" 100% but probably what I use the most - Neural Amp Modeler (NAM)
Which nam captures and profiles do u use most?

For mobile headphone practice I use Amplitube 5 Max, NDSP Soldano + Tone King. Ok, but the feel/tone is nowhere near as good as hw based / axfx to my ear.

Last edited:
In the Dann Huff interview it officially turns out Dann has been using Scuffham for a few years...

If you are among the Mason haters you could however theorize he made a sponsor deal with Scuffham and maybe programmed some of the effects himself, then had Dann install that and tweak a little... Without proof I give benefit of the doubt.

Relistening to the Scuffham demos, they sound awesome, IMO. Many of these sounds seem to be "cooking" in a nice way.
Good deal ATM too ($40 off).

Take this with a grain of salt - I haven't mixed in years. But, when I decided to try to re-lean it with some of the cambridge-mt multitracks, I've taken to using Neural plugins when they have DI tracks. The amps & cabs are good (not fractal level IMHO but good)...not as much a fan of the effects.

If I were actually mixing or producing professionally, I'd probably reamp through Fractal. But, Neural plugins are close and a lot simpler.

I did not like Helix Native, and that's the only other one I've ever really spent time with. I admit that I was probably doing something wrong like hitting it too hot or something, but I didn't like it.

Like I said earlier, I'm really just using my Axe these days, but I actually liked several of the Plugin Alliance amps, like the Chandler and both Engls.
As you might have noticed, I'm not a really high gain guy basically mostly, so what I'm after is organic feel, not PunishXXXing Brootalz (c), so take that into account with those likes.
Not that they necessarily won't do that, just that I wasn't trying for that, so I don't know how it'd work out.

In the Dann Huff interview it officially turns out Dann has been using Scuffham for a few years...

If you are among the Mason haters you could however theorize he made a sponsor deal with Scuffham and maybe programmed some of the effects himself, then had Dann install that and tweak a little... Without proof I give benefit of the doubt.

Relistening to the Scuffham demos, they sound awesome, IMO. Many of these sounds seem to be "cooking" in a nice way.
Good deal ATM too ($40 off).

Im an early adopter of Sgear, and at some point i did beta testing for them, that plugin is the real deal.

The creator of Sgear was one of the people behind the development of the Marshall Jmp1 unit ( i always wonder if that's the reason why the marshall based model on Sgear sounds so good).

To me it's the only plugin that gives me the same feeling as units like Kemper or Axe Fx, im not saying it's better or as good but the feel thing that's very important for me to have a conection with digital solutions is there.

I don't get that same feeling from much other plugins out there.

The biggest downside of the plugin is the lack of features compared to other plugins out there like Amplitube or Positive grid.

But the thing is that Sgear is a one man operation, and that clearly as hinder the development of the plugin (not in quality, but in terms of offering more amp models, effects and features).

Since buying my Fm3 (close to two years now) i did not play that much with Sgear (before when i had a Hx Stomp i would use it a lot, since i dislike Line 6 amp modeling), but now i have to check the Dann Huff preset pack.

I've bought and used just about everything out there, and for a while have only used Helix Native and a couple of NDSP plugins, such as Cory Wong and Tone King. I even sold my QC because it seemed pointless for home use when I had equal tone from NDSP plugins. If I could only pick one plugin it would easily be Helix Native, so versatile.

When my first Fractal unit arrives, I'm expecting I won't use plugins anymore!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom