Favorite Drop D Songs

Shine — Collective Soul
This one needs a bit of a footnote:

The first guitar part is on the 4th & 3rd strings tuned a fifth apart (D♭-A♭), so I think it may have been one tuning for that and the lower riffs, D♭-A♭-D♭-A♭-?-? (top 2 strings not really used in that stuff). Then there's some acoustic which seems to be E♭ standard like Ed used live, and the solo is E (not flat) standard. Bass seems to be Drop D♭ though.

The first guitar part is on the 4th & 3rd strings tuned a fifth apart (D♭-A♭), so I think it may have been one tuning for that and the lower riffs, D♭-A♭-D♭-A♭-?-? (top 2 strings not really used in that stuff). Then there's some acoustic which seems to be E♭ standard like Ed used live, and the solo is E (not flat) standard. Bass seems to be Drop D♭ though.
Okay, I didn't know that history. The song seems quite playable in drop-D (flat :)), though.

Anesthetize Porcupine Tree. Even though it's a step down, I figured the spirit of the question is regarding drop-tuned songs. (VH is drop Eb, e.g.)

Although in playing around with it last night, I found the 3rd part of the song almost impossible to play in drop-D tuning, but it lays right in in standard. And I checked a live video, and sure enough, Steven switches to a guitar in E standard for the end.

Last edited:
Shine — Collective Soul

Okay, I didn't know that history. The song seems quite playable in drop-D (flat :)), though.
And all these years I've been playing it in E standard tuning! :D

What are the drop D tuned songs you really enjoy playing? Initially, I was looking at coming up with an entire set of all drop d tuned tunes to reduce guitar changes, so even though my favorites are all along the rock genre, I'm interested in any style, as long as it makes you move. :)

To start:
Killing in the Name
Monkey Wrench
Everlong
Hey Man, Nice Shot
Forty Six & 2
Drop D or all the guitar 2 semitones down ? If so i think of some Winger s tunes .

I think Collective Soul has been doing exactly that on stage for 30 years :).
With the original lineup it was Dean Roland and Will (bass) in Drop D♭ while Ed & Ross used E♭ standard. It looks like the current lead guitarist uses Drop D♭.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom