FASLINK™ Adapters are here!

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
FASLINK™ Adapters are now available at http://shop.fractalaudio.com/FASLINK_Adapters_s/57.htm

The XA-1 Adapter is for those who have an MFC-101 Mark III (with onboard FASLINK port) and an original or Mark II Axe-Fx II (no onboard FASLINK port).

The XA-2 Adapter is for those with an Axe-Fx II XL (with onboard FASLINK port) and the original or Mark II MFC-101 (no onboard FASLINK port).

Use BOTH the XA-1 and the XA-2 to connect an Axe-Fx II original or Mark II to an MFC-101 Original or Mark II (Neither unit has an onboard FASLINK™ port.)

If you own both the Axe-Fx II XL and the MFC-101 Mark III, you don't need any FASLINK adapters.

High quality Ethernet/EtherCON and XLR cables of any length are available from BestTronics (shortcut link: http://www.fractalaudio.com/cables)

Enjoy. These boxes are really cool.

FAS-113-3.jpg

Last edited:
Someone PMd me asking for a size reference photo. I thought I'd post it here. Tiny! About 1 3/4" x 1 1/2" x 3 1/4"

xa-size.jpg

xlr cables are more available at gigs vs long midi and ethernet cables. xlr connectors are solid metal and much tougher to withstand constant plugging and unplugging. you can run the xlr signal through a stage snake to keep cable runs tidy.

the FASlink is best for the units that have it onboard. with the adaptor, you still have a "weak point" with the short ethernet cable and the fact that you can lose an adaptor, but you probably will never need to unplug the ethernet or move the adaptor once it's set. i imagine people will attach the adaptors somehow to the MFC or axe/rack.

Great thanks! So FASTlink is not faster or better than ethernet, just less fragile.

pretty much.

and just to make sure, it's not "Fast" link. it's FAS (like Fractal Audio Systems) link. so that's why it's not "faster." :)

$50 duckets.

Will have to ask: what is the benefit of XLR over 7 pin MIDI or RJ45? Durability the only one? It's my understanding that transmission speed is not a factor here.

I might get shelled for this, but would like to hear what is the big plus here for a Mark I/II owner?

R

Like Ethernet/CON, FASLINK™ powers the MFC-101 from the Axe-Fx without a "wall wart" AC Adapter.

But...
XLR Cables are more readily available than network cables.
XLR Cable lengths of up to 100' are supported.
XLR Cables are more resistant to damage on stage or in a road case.

If you'd helped as many people as I have whose "only Ethernet cable" at a gig got cut/rolled over/left behind,shorted, snapped,etc, I think you'd percieve the great value of this add-on for Mark I/II units.

The biggest advantage is availability of XLR cables. Not just at venues, but at the kinds of stores musicians shop at. Your music store may not stock 50 foot midi cables, but you can bet they'll have a 50 foot XLR. Plus XLR cables are kind of made for rough treatment. Ethernet cables typically don't stand up as well to abuse.

this is definitely a major plus for the gigging guys, not necessarily the bedroom players.

trust me, having someone step a certain way on an ethernet cable which breaks one of the many/tiny wires in it and kill your MFC for the gig sucks. i have a great 7-pin midi cable with the adaptor in my bag as backup, but that could get lost and i'd have to order and wait for another one.

xlr cable goes missing for my MFC? just steal it from my lead singer. a much better use.

I ordered as soon as I heard they were available. I used a similar connector with my CAE RS10 rig I had once upon a time. XLR cables are 1) easy to replace, 2) fairly cheap. I also ordered a short Ethercon cable to patch from the Axe Fx to the Faslink connector. My plan is to mount it safe away in the side of my rack bag and then only have to deal with a XLR mounted on the rail.

Back
Top Bottom