FAS Amp Block Issues

JeffHester

I was wondering if anyone had issues with the FAS amps. I recently download this free preset from Silent Underground and my Axe Fx 2 XL sounds nothing like their example. He even posted a guitar only version of it on SoundCloud. It sounds awesome too. When I import this into my unit, it sounds like a clean bass amp. Then I started messing around with the other FAS Amps. They almost all sound similar to a clean bass amp. I have reset my unit, reloaded firmware 2 times, and re-imported the preset. I also reset the blocks.

SIlent Underground example...

Any ideas? It makes me wonder if other amp sims in the block are acting strangely too.

Nothing wrong with those amp types. Almost sounds like your unit is in Bypass mode. Or Powe Amp Modeling is turned off.

i loaded the preset. sounds exactly like their video.

can you please import the preset to your Axe-Fx II, save, then use the EXPORT on the top right of Axe-Edit and upload that here.

how exactly are you loading the preset into your Axe?

I downloaded it again. Used the Import button in Axe Edit to install it, then hit save. It still sounds wrong. I checked the pweramp modeling and it is on in my settings. I exported it here...

Attachments

• PresetADay - FAS Rhythm - Jeff.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 3
I downloaded it again. Used the Import button in Axe Edit to install it, then hit save. It still sounds wrong. I checked the pweramp modeling and it is on in my settings. I exported it here...
when i load the preset, it does not sound like a clean bass. it's distorted but a bit thin.

you're saying you hear no distortion at all when you load it? if you manually change the amp type and then put it back to FAS Rhythm, does it sound distorted then? if you change the amp type to FAS Rhythm in any other preset, does it sound distorted as expected?

on the Axe front panel, press the GLOBAL button. on the first page called CONFIG, what is the setting for AMP GAIN?

There is a little distortion, but not much. If I manually change the amp type, save, and change it back to FAS Rythm and save... it still sounds the same. It almost sounds like there is a clean and semi-dirty tone together but biased to the cleaner tone. Global amp gain set to 0.0 dB. Could it be the amp model in my unit? I just created a new preset with the same amp model and one of the cabs and doesn't sound that great either. It would never come close to their video tone. It's more of a blues level distortion.

so all presets sound ok until you put the FAS Modern amp?

there really isn't a way for ONE amp to have an error and not the others. i'd love to hear that recording. can you put it on soundcloud or something?

Here is the EVH Preset. Scene 3 for Rhythm. If I change the FAS Rythm to a FAS Modern in the imported preset, it sounds even worse. I was able to import a Fremen preset, and change it's amp to a FAS Rhythm and it sounded a little better, but still bad.

Attachments

• EVH Bkue Test.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 2
the FAS Rhythm preset doesn't sound that good to me because it scoops 500hz before the amp, leaving it very hollow sounding. it sounded better when i turned off both GEQs.

in your BLUE preset, when i change the amp type to FAS Modern, it sounds really similar, definitely the same amount of gain.

i'm not really sure what's happening. what firmware version are you on? on the front panel, press Utility then page right till you see the Firmware page.

I am on the most recent Firmware. Reloaded it to times. Did a Global reset too. Any other tests to conduct? This is definitely a weird problem.

the FAS Rhythm preset doesn't sound that good to me because it scoops 500hz before the amp, leaving it very hollow sounding. it sounded better when i turned off both GEQs.

in your BLUE preset, when i change the amp type to FAS Modern, it sounds really similar, definitely the same amount of gain.

i'm not really sure what's happening. what firmware version are you on? on the front panel, press Utility then page right till you see the Firmware page.
By "similar" do you mean the FAS amp did not sound good? I tested it using the EVH preset, turned off the drive, changed the amp to the FAS Rhythm amp and it sounded bad. Is that what you hear?

By "similar" do you mean the FAS amp did not sound good? I tested it using the EVH preset, turned off the drive, changed the amp to the FAS Rhythm amp and it sounded bad. Is that what you hear?
why did you turn off the drive to do a test? typically you want the fewest variables changing.

in the BLUE preset, when changing to the FAS Modern, it sounded similar, meaning it sounded almost the same as the 5153 Blue amp type.

Back
Top Bottom