FAR FIELD IRs by recording?

Nope! FF IRs do not actually contain any room sound. They can sound that way if you put a bit of reverb on them though. Personally, I like to use them in stead of close miked IRs, because to my ear they sound more natural and pleasing.

This recording here uses one of Jay Mitchell's FF IRs. I am using my own much of the time now though.

Last edited:
Nope! FF IRs do not actually contain any room sound. They can sound that way if you put a bit of reverb on them though. Personally, I like to use them in stead of close miked IRs, because to my ear they sound more natural and pleasing.

This recording here uses one of Jay Mitchell's FF IRs. I am using my own much of the time now though.

I think it sounds fine - but contrasts with the 're-finedness' of the orchestra. Which may be why I always go back to single, close-mic IRs.

This recording here uses one of Jay Mitchell's FF IRs. I am using my own much of the time now though.]

Nice...I like the tone in the clip; is that a stock Jay FF cab?

I've tried out the IR you created/uploaded and need to spend more time with it...I'm really intrigued with FF IR's.

It's not a stock one, its from the old axechange archive which is still floating around somewhere. I think its a 2x12 loaded with a celestion gold and a g12-65.
I'm going to continue making FF IRs when I have the time and will upload some more for people who are interested.

If you do a search there is a folder called 'axechange archive' somewhere on the forum that you can download. Its from the old axechange from a few years ago, and it contains heaps of IRs. A few of them are Jay's FFs.

Oh, it's that IR.zip, right? Already had it on my PC but I didn't know that there is any JM stuff in there. Too much of everything. The only stuff that I'm looking for besides the collcetions from RW, OH and Fractal are FF IR's to mix them with all closed miced IR's to get a more natural sound. I use the JM FF stock IR's only yet to mix with close IR's, because I have found nothing better. But I'm still searching to maybe find some more.

If you do a search there is a folder called 'axechange archive' somewhere on the forum that you can download. Its from the old axechange from a few years ago, and it contains heaps of IRs. A few of them are Jay's FFs.
Hi where can i find this?

Also since this is a bit of a thread resurrection, here's a couple of tracks I've recorded since which demonstrate far field IRs in a full mix. They are a lot better than my example from 2012 lol.

Back
Top Bottom