Faith restored in my Axe :)

The next firmware is getting a Drive block makeover. I've "cracked the code" on drive pedals and figured out a way to do a SPICE simulation in real time without using gobs of CPU. It's so simple I can't believe no one ever thought of it before but none of the papers even approach anything resembling the technique.

This will bring "Ares" level modeling to the Drive block.

Will this also affect the drive boost in the amp block?

Will this also affect the drive boost in the amp block?
No. Those are clean boosts and don't use much CPU.

This algorithm applies to a particular set of circuits that incorporate diodes as a nonlinear component. SPICE modeling is particularly slow when modeling diodes due to convergence issues. However the diodes in drive pedals are used in such a way that there's a trick that can be employed to dramatically decrease the amount of CPU needed to simulate the circuit.

Last edited:
The next firmware is getting a Drive block makeover. I've "cracked the code" on drive pedals and figured out a way to do a SPICE simulation in real time without using gobs of CPU. It's so simple I can't believe no one ever thought of it before but none of the papers even approach anything resembling the technique.

Woowwwwwww... Cliff that's f*** great news!

I feel 4.0 already coming over the horizon. Pretty amazing.

Call me a fanboy, but I'm both grateful for and respectful of FAS and their founder. It's not just the work ethic or the dedication. It's the refusal of the Status quo and continuously pushing the envelope.

Man, I am almost scared!

KoT ... been wanting one of those bad for years. But I’d settle for more Big Muff variations.
Yeah, I would love a couple different muffs.
Especially now that EHX has recently reissued the triangle and the sovtek versions, those are quite easy to get and it seems they sound pretty good too.

It just gets better all the time! :)

Amazing news Cliff, completely made my day.
I actually like many of the current drive models, but I can't wait to try the new drive modeling

People better get selling their Klons before word gets out.
Don't kick a man while he's down... :D For real, though, that would be cool if there was some technical limitation as to why this hasn't been implemented yet and this overcame that. I can understand not wanting to do something until you can do it right!

Will this also affect the drive/sat parameters of the virtual mic preamp of the cab block ?

And the boost on the AMP block?
Just a few posts above..
No. Those are clean boosts and don't use much CPU.

This algorithm applies to a particular set of circuits that incorporate diodes as a nonlinear component. SPICE modeling is particularly slow when modeling diodes due to convergence issues. However the diodes in drive pedals are used in such a way that there's a trick that can be employed to dramatically decrease the amount of CPU needed to simulate the circuit.

So what's the name after 'Ares'?
I vote for 'Hyperion'..the god of light...you know diodes emit light and so on...

Back
Top Bottom