Extra small but still decent monitors?

Ben.Last

Experienced
Anyone have monitors/speakers they'd recommend for an extra compact AFX & laptop travel practice rig? I know headphones are going to be the best option for that sort of situation, but I've got those sorted, and would like something to use for situations when headphones aren't necessary.

Genelec 8010a
  • Woofer 3" (25W) - tweeter 3/4" (25W)
  • Freq resp: 74Hz - 20kHz (±2,5dB)
  • SPL: 96dB (1m)
Good size and weight, but they don't seem to be fit for low freq like bass.

I was eyeballing the 8010as; I just wish there was something that was less pricey. I won't be using these for anything beyond scratch tracks.

They’re so small. One step up is already quite a bit more useful, 8020 or 8320.

They’re so small. One step up is already quite a bit more useful, 8020 or 8320.
Small is exactly what I'm looking for. Again, this is just for an alternative to headphones, I have a dedicated setup at home already.

Yea, compactness and robust, thats 8010 all the way. They fit into jacket pockets, and are made of metal. Pretty indestructible. Genelc also makes a bag made for them.

For the "travel practice rig" requirements should be more than enough, lowest "E' is 80Hz
Also, physics is a bitch, she doesn't care
5 (and 6) string Bass fundamentals start at 31Hz for Low B, but I agree that brains are good at imagining the missing low freq if the speaker is correctly engineered and low freq resp goes close to ~60Hz. You can't have it all, portability and really low freq.... and maybe you don't need them.

A
5 (and 6) string Bass fundamentals start at 31Hz for Low B
Apologies, I misunderstood your message - I though you are saying they are lacking in bass department in general. While this is certainly true, I was thinking of a guitar, not a bass.

Last edited:
As always with speakers, specs are only half of the decision points, you need to hear them to see the real quality.
Genelec are great speakers and they have a matching price. I would definilty ponder them for a small desktop at home or studio.
It is really helpful to see real test graphs like the ones you shared. How great would be to have this from other brands. Thanks!

One different decision point about the initial question... are they worth for moving DJ env?

At some point in the past I even pondered having the Genelec and an external subwoofer for my desk, but they were too expensive for the task (for me).

As always with speakers, specs are only half of the decision points, you need to hear them to see the real quality.
Genelec are great speakers and they have a matching price. I would definilty ponder them for a small desktop at home or studio.
It is really helpful to see real test graphs like the ones you shared. How great would be to have this from other brands. Thanks!

One different decision point about the initial question... are they worth for moving DJ env?

At some point in the past I even pondered having the Genelec and an external subwoofer for my desk, but they were too expensive for the task (for me).

Their compact subwoofer, the 7040A, looks impressing for its size.

I initially thought about getting it when I purchased the pair of 8010A, but I finally didn't. Not only because it is very expensive, but because I am already satisfied with the results of the 8010A on a small room treated with Auralex wedges and bass traps.

Back
Top Bottom