Expression Pedal Recommendations

THX

I'm looking for a good, general-purpose expression pedal for the Axe2. I don't have an MFC-101 (yet), so I plan on just one EP for now going into the "pedal" jack on the Axe2. Haven't used a wah or volume pedal for years and don't have one lying around. I know that almost "any" EP with a linear taper pot will work. Since the electronic "guts" of the EP won't be used (except for the pot) I know it comes down to personal preference or the "feel" of the pedal. I see some guys using Missions with the Axe2. How do you like them? What other EP's are being used?

Yep - only a "feel" thing: The way from heel to toe is to large ... You can compensate with the modifier curve, but for me, the shorter way from a wah works better for me .... the FV500L is well - no question, i like it for shimmer, volume, special effects ... but for wah it`s a compromise of feeling, i think ...

thank you - I'll think about it. But I have "two left hands" to rebuild an Dunlop GCP95 or something similar to an expression and a Mission is to expensive for us that's right ... :cry

Me too, but check the link: Seems to be VERY Easy! The best is: the pot is lienar tapper with 100K, should work without exchange. Ant the other guitarist from my band knows his soldering gun very well ;) ...

It depends on what you're wanting to do with the pedals... live use, home, studio.

I am planning on moving to the Mission or Boss pedals because they are made for heavy duty use. I have an Ernie Ball volume pedal (the full sized one, don't recall the model) that I'm using on volume but that string breaking always concerns me. I also have a cheap (as in under $30 new) M-Audio pedal that I bought as a backup, but it's actually working pretty well for a little piece of plastic. I'll keep those for spares once I get the others.

If you're in a "going to cost me if this thing doesn't work" environment, go with the pro pedals (and pro prices). If you're doing it on your own dime, playing or recording at home or with friends, or if you just want to test the waters, the M-Audio pedal is a cheap fix. You get what you pay for, but no need to buy more than you need. (That last part always sounds funny coming from an Axe II user, but hey... I NEED that!)

I use both the Boss FV500L and a Mission EP1-R, the reasoning behind it is as follows.

As for a wah, I’m just comfortable with that Dunlop shell but have also played and like the Morley switchless wah’s, so that’s how I ended up with the Mission EP1-R kind of the best of both worlds. Mine is spring loaded to always return to the heel position.

As for the Boss I just like the (physical throw) there is more travel to this one and just a bit easier, to feel were you are on the pedal. This is the one I might leave in some sort of cocked position and walk away from the board.

Bottom line I like them both, if I had to use one or the other exclusively I could be comfortable with either.

John

I use the FV500H as EXP1... it's great.. seems pretty solid..
I like it so much I'm going to get another...

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll mainly use an EP for home/studio use as a wah and volume pedal. I don't mind paying more for something that's good quality and is going to last (I bought an Axe2 after all ;) ). So far it seems that the BOSS FV500 series and Mission pedals are popular. Any other suggestions, or equally important, any pedals to avoid?

I've got two FVBoss 500H. Use for volume and Wah/Whammy/exp depending on patch. They rock and I'm getting a 3rd one. Solid good value. The Mission is overpriced here in euro land.

James how come you use the H version? I thought that L version ment to be used with Axe? When i use my Ernie ball high impendance i dont seem to have full range of motion maybe Boss is different?

James how come you use the H version? I thought that L version ment to be used with Axe? When i use my Ernie ball high impendance i dont seem to have full range of motion maybe Boss is different?

The H version has a high impedance analog in and out for use as a regular volume pedal. It also has the stereo TRS Exp connector which is used with the AXE FX. The L version dies not have the high impedance that's all. Obviously I only use the EXP port. The Ernie Ball would need modding to work as a controller with a TRS insert Y cable and maybe mid to the pot I don't know for sure. The Boss is cheap rugged and does the job. That's why I'm getting another. Highly recommend.
James

Back
Top Bottom