Expression Pedal for Volume - adjusting taper

tweedster

I'm using a Mission pedal for volume control of output 1, and I'd like to adjust the taper of the pot. I don't have much control over output volume - it's pretty much useless except as an on/off control. I already have that covered with the tuner as a mute. Has anything changed since 2008 (see URL below)?

Axe-FX :: View topic - How to get a Modifier to control Output 1?

How do other people on the forum control their output volume?

-Tweedster

Axe-FX user since 2008 (standard), now on an Axe-FX II w/ MFC & version FW 6. It just keeps getting better.

Taper comes from the pedal. Are you using a volume pedal or an expression pedal? Volume pedals have a logarithmic taper (and will produce the effect you decribed); expression pedals have a linear taper.

You can change the taper of a pedal with some surgery.

i use a volume block placed in each patch (OMG SO MUCH WORK I DIE... not really). you can control the taper and a few other parameters. also you can place it before delay and reverb blocks so when you volume down, the delay is still going, for example.

controlling out1 or out2 with a pedal, for me, does not work, mostly because of the delay trails etc., but also because i don't want to change the input gain going to my speakers or to the mixer, etc.

You can control taper now? Or do you mean the modifier adjustments? I've never been able to effectively tweak a log taper into a linear one.

hmm, maybe i said it wrong, but in the volume block, there is a knob that says "volume taper" and you can select linear, log 30a, log 15a, log 10a.

Got it. But if you've got a log taper pedal, wouldn't you need an inverse log taper to compensate? That option isn't there.

That said, I haven't actually tried it to see if it works. :)

haha probably, but i've always used expression pedals, not volume, so i've never had a problem.

Then get a linear pot and put it in.
You don't want log taper for expression pedals in the Axe-Fx.
+1. That's the "surgery" I referred to earlier. There's also another surgery option: a couple of resistors across the terminals on your pot will turn a log-taper pot into a very useful approximation of a linear taper.

+1. That's the "surgery" I referred to earlier. There's also another surgery option: a couple of resistors across the terminals on your pot will turn a log-taper pot into a very useful approximation of a linear taper.

I have a visual volume pedal (http://www.visualsound.net/index.php/products/guitar_effects_pedals/v2_visual_volume/) which only comes in log taper. What value of resistor have you found works for you? I believe the pot is about 100k, and I assume the resistor goes across the wiper and top (signal in) terminals?

Use the Linear Pot link. It works surprisingly wel to convert a log pot to a close-to-linear taper.

What would my "desired value" be?
I think you said you have a 100K pot. Choosing a 50K final value (arbitrary choice), and plugging those values into the calculator I posted, we get a value of 50K for each of the two resistors.

Back
Top Bottom