Experiencing Hendrix Show last night

Guitarbot

Inspired
I was all excited to be going to see Dweezil playing through a Fractal Audio unit. Unfortunantly, It was an off night for him. He played some on 1 song. His sound was a bit thin compared to Eric Gales (who played on the same song) and to other guitarists. Dweezil's rig crapped out & techs fought for a while to get it running. I saw them reboot the Fractal Audio unit, but I don't think it was the problem because they kept troubleshooting after rebooting. Dweezil just sort of threw his hands in the air like 'sorry, it's not working'. I love some of Dweezil's work.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd had a nice tone (& many people felt that he stole the show) & Buddy Guy had a bright but not piercing tone. In other words it wasn't just a bright thin sound, but it had alot of tone to it. Mato Nanji had alot of distortion in his sound & it lacked some depth & warmth, but he was playing great . I know that Fractal posted something about 'less being more' when it comes to recording distortion. That seemed true live also. The tones that I enjoyed the most were the ones that had sustain, but not a wall of distortion or effects. I liked hearing the player's fingers & soul generate the tone. It is hard to put into words, but you knew it when you heard it. Jonny Lang's vocals were good, original & refreshing. His guitar wasn't a strat. It sounded really nice!

An earlier 'review' post said it was bassy mix at the show he saw. That wasn't the case for my show. It could have had the vocals up or the instruments down at times, but it was great to see. I felt like I was getting to watch some muscians get together & just jam. NOAH HUNT's vocals were excellent. I had never heard of him, but he was powerful, soulfull & his vocals cut through the mix.
I sat about 14 rows back in the center.

This isn't from the same show, but is Kenny playing some Hendrix:
EXPERiENCE HENDRiX thru Kenny Wayne Shepherd - YouTube

Brad Whitford & Jonny Lang:
Fire- Brad Whitford & Jonny Lang- Experience Hendrix 2012 - YouTube

Eric Gales:
Eric Gales- Experience Hendrix 2012 - YouTube

Bobby 'Guitarbot' Deveaux | Wadmalaw Island, SC | Indie / Instrumental / Pretty Guitar | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

wow, so did dweezil not play ? or did he plug in to a different rig ?
that's a little disconserting that his fractal took a dump.
will mine do the same one day ? hmmmmmm.

wow, so did dweezil not play ? or did he plug in to a different rig ?
that's a little disconserting that his fractal took a dump.
will mine do the same one day ? hmmmmmm.
I don't recall the OP saying anything about the Fractal taking "a dump".. What he stated was that he "saw them reboot the Fractal Audio unit, but I don't think it was the problem because they kept troubleshooting after rebooting. " That's a little different.
Had you any experience with large rigs you might realize that power cycling is a common approach to troubleshooting, and does not necessarily indicate a problem with any specific device in the rig.

But, then - given your history here - I suppose we should expect no less than another trolling/inflammatory post from you?
Don't know why I wasted my time replying...
:eek:ops

I DO NOT THINK IT WAS HIS FRACTAL PIECE OF GEAR.

Buddy did say "Just pick an amp." & the crowd cheered, but Dweezil didn't. He played maybe 3 min.

I love my current rig which includes an AXE-FX II. The variety & recording tones are great. It made me realize the importance of not just being on stage jamming with people, but sometimes we need to tweek maybe from a listeners perspective. At rehearsals, I have gone out into an auditorium or even at the mixer out in the center of the auditorium & played just to hear my guitar in a mix. Sometimes things sound great recorded or in your house, but not quite right live.

Dweezil is awesome. I didn't have time to talk to him. After the show, a bunch of the players had a meet & greet. That is very classy in my book. And for Dweezil to share his presets is sincerely appreciated.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom