EV zlx 12p "Review"

SJB

Inspired
Hi All -
I put "review" in quotes because what I can say is fairly limited (please see caveats at the end). Let me also say, that I have no connection to EV or any other professional audio business. I'm not trying to sell anything, just relating my experience, in hopes of helping someone.

I bought two EV zlx 12p cabinets. These are powered FRFR speakers (1000 W) with a 12" driver (EVS 12K) and horn (DH-1K). I ordered them from Amazon,com, because it was the best price ($349.99 US), and I am already an Amazon Prime member, so I paid no shipping. They took four days to arrive. The packing was solid, and secure, and the boxes arrived unblemished. The speakers come bare, (no covers, those are ordered separately) and with a single mains power cord, which is comfortably long (about 8 feet).

There are two line or mic inputs (you can dial the gain between mic and line input levels), there is a single balanced output for daisy chaining, and of course a receptacle for the mains power cord, and mains switch.

The speakers have some presets to choose from. These are accessed through a DSP, viewed on an LCD on the back panel. You can adjust input level (it tells you if you are clipping at the input), you can boost bass or treble (default is 0 db for both). There are three location presets (Pole, Monitor, or Bracket), and there are four audio modes: Music (for playback) Live (for voice and instrument) Speech (for vocal optimization) and Club (for a$$ thumping bass). The different modes have slightly different frequency responses. You can view those responses on page 18 of the manual which can be found at the bottom of the following link:

http://electrovoice.com/downloads.php?type=Manual

One of the things I liked a lot, was that EV has the cojones to publish their frequency responses - something I couldn't seem to find for many of their competitors. In any case, after reading the brief owner's manual and looking at the frequency responses (on Pg 18) I decided to set the speakers to "monitor" and "Live". The manual is not clear about what the location choices actually do - however, since I was not going to put them on a pole or bracket, and, being a law-and-order kind of guy, I chose "Monitor". Of the four frequency responses the flattest appeared to be "Live" - it doesn't appear to vary more than a couple of db from 90hz to about 15KHz. So, I picked "Live".

Hooked everything up, dialed them in, and of course they worked immediately. Relative to my presets, they sounded a little dark (probably because my last system was a little bright), so I spent a few minutes brightening up my personal presets until I really liked the sound. Didn't take long. A little treble boost, a little presence, a bright switch here and there (depending on preset) and I was done. They sound great, and I spent the rest of the day just playing, and listening to the awesome combination. I compared headphones, and factory presets, and they all sounded good to me, and comparable between phones and speakers. However, I've been at this for a long time, and maybe don't have the ear sensitivity that I used to, or that some of you no doubt retain. I tend to find tones that I like and stay with them, until I get bored, and try something different.

For my purposes, these EVs will do nicely. We're talking home studio, various (usually small) practice rooms, and gigs from small clubs to big bars. I suspect they are of higher general quality than our band's PA, so as others have said, I'll leave FOH to someone else. Here's the best thing: the enclosures are made of polypropylene. They are light (34.3 lbs), easy to set up (the presets you choose are remembered at subsequent power-up), and have a variety of handles for convenient manipulation. They also look great - very professional, clean lines and modern looking. I got two of them for flexibility: single cab, mono, for practice and small clubs.... two cabs, stereo for larger gigs, and to play around with at home.
I am thrilled to have made this purchase, and I really like them, pretty much out of the box.

Caveats:
1. Again, I tend not to obsess about tone, as long as I hear something pleasing to me (and I have a wide "pleasing" range). Others may have a very different perspective, and that would be expected. I'm reminded of my job, where two reasonable individuals can observe the same events and draw diametrically opposed conclusions. It happens, and its OK.

2. I do NOT have access to higher end systems (CLR, Xitone, Matrix... etc...) so I cannot compare the EVs to those systems. I'm certain I would hear a difference, I don't expect them to compete with high-end. If there is anyone in the general vicinity of NW Arkansas who wants to try a shoot-out, drop me a line.

3. I can say that I compared these to several other in-class systems (JBL, Harbinger, QSC, Mackie) using a familiar CD, and clearly felt the EVs sounded better in A/B testing.

4. There is probably a better more formal way to examine the response of these speakers. I have read some threads that mention "sweeping" the system - if someone wants to point me to some resources, I am willing to give that a try and report the results. However, this may be pointless, since the frequency response is published.

Also, I'm happy to answer questions, if I can. Hope someone finds this helpful.
Steve

PS. I loaded the factory Friedman HBE preset, and turned it up. Wet my pants. These things sound good. Real good.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review!

The common complaint with the ZLXs is the scooped defaults, and honestly it depends heavily on the room you're listening to them in. But with a little bit of tweaking with the built-in DSP it's pretty easy to make these things sound REALLY good. They punch well above their weight... and cost.

Just a quick update on the question of what the "Location" setting does. The documentation does not describe what those settings do. I sent a message to EV support, we had a conversation and this is basically the gist: The Location setting "optimizes" the performance of the zlx 12p for different settings. I could not get specifics, in terms of exactly how the frequency response was modified, however I did get the following. The Frequency response graphs on page 18 of the manual were generated with the speaker mounted on a pole and with location set to "Pole". Measurements were made in an anechoic chamber (non-reflective, non-echoing). The other two settings (Monitor, and Bracket) were designed to defeat low-end resonance produced when the cabinets come in contact with walls and floors. These settings cut the lows to different degrees. The largest cut to the low end occurs with "Monitor", and "Bracket" provides a low cut that is intermediate between pole and monitor. I don't know what the shape of these cuts looks like. The tech told me that "Bracket" was the "flattest" response. I haven't listened closely to "bracket", but will do so later this evening. In any case, this does seem kind of handy, and provides an extra layer of control for low-end under differing physical circumstances.

So there you have it... straight from EV's horn.

I started my own thread on these but wanted to echo what a bunch have already said on here to try and get the word out to those like me on a very strict budget..

Lots of dynamic control and good response with the DSP settings and tons of power......fairly lightweight as compared to a tube head and 4x12 or even some 2x12 cabs...

For the price range you cannot do any better then the Ev's in my opinion.....

Just a quick update on the question of what the "Location" setting does. The documentation does not describe what those settings do. I sent a message to EV support, we had a conversation and this is basically the gist: The Location setting "optimizes" the performance of the zlx 12p for different settings. I could not get specifics, in terms of exactly how the frequency response was modified, however I did get the following. The Frequency response graphs on page 18 of the manual were generated with the speaker mounted on a pole and with location set to "Pole". Measurements were made in an anechoic chamber (non-reflective, non-echoing). The other two settings (Monitor, and Bracket) were designed to defeat low-end resonance produced when the cabinets come in contact with walls and floors. These settings cut the lows to different degrees. The largest cut to the low end occurs with "Monitor", and "Bracket" provides a low cut that is intermediate between pole and monitor. I don't know what the shape of these cuts looks like. The tech told me that "Bracket" was the "flattest" response. I haven't listened closely to "bracket", but will do so later this evening. In any case, this does seem kind of handy, and provides an extra layer of control for low-end under differing physical circumstances.

So there you have it... straight from EV's horn.

I haven't even tried the Bracket setting.... but now I will have to give it a go. I have been using the Monitor setting almost exclusively since I got them. The Pole setting is just too boomy in my opinion. I also emplore the Sub crossover setting at 100hz. My patches always seem to translate really well when I play at other venues.... so I have just left the settings alone for a while. I have mine pole mounted in my music room at home and absolutely LOVE them!!! I am going to give them a go with the Bracket setting just to see how they sound.... ya know, that never ending tone quest and all!

I've got a pair of these. I originally used them as mains for small gigs with my band. I've since upgraded to the ELX-115Ps for mains, and these have become monitors. I used to haul around a 4x12 cab and a power amp for gigs, but now I leave the cab at home and just bring one of the ZLXs. It took me a while to get used to the FRFR sound vs the power amp and cab, but since Quantum 1.06, I've had no desire to switch back to my power amp and cab setup.

I dial my tones in on the ZLXs now and my tones translate beautifully to every other PA we've played through. I use the "monitor" and "live" DSP settings and I've noticed that sometimes my patches have more low end than I expected, but I've adapted to that and haven't had a problem since.

Great speakers. I got mine "New" from Amazon for $296/per unit a while back. They arrived with some blemishes, but for the price, I just kept them.

The ELX line is really great too. Wood cabinets with more power, better bass response. I haven't come across anything else in the same price range that can beat the EVs. I paid roughly $900 for a pair of the ELX powered 15s on ebay.

Thanks for the review - I'd already ordered a pair and the boxes are sitting in my living room. Got to get them out and give them a go!

Thanks for the review - I'd already ordered a pair and the boxes are sitting in my living room. Got to get them out and give them a go!

You bet! First 5 weeks with two of these and I think they just get better and better. As far as different DSP settings - I wouldn't worry too much about that... Just pick a combination that sounds good out of the box with your patches, tweak to taste, and stick with it. Your patches will translate to FOH with minimal fuss. These frickkin things are awesome for the price... Can't go wrong on a budget.
Cheers!
Steve

New ZLX 12P user here!
I already have a Yamaha msr250 (200W, 10"), and I purchased this EV for do the stereo thing, It amazes me that the EV have better handling altought it weights 800grs (1.76 pounds) more than the Yamaha, the weight is better distributed.
I want to comment some things:
Say that this monitor have 1000W power is daring, the true power handling is 250W continous and 1000W peak!
I found that setting ZLX input pot very low and master very high results in noise of the tweeter, my better setting is input pot at 11 o'clock and master at -15db, with this last setting the tweeter don't makes noise.
I have it laying in the floor as monitor: my settings are "Live" and "Monitor".
My presets should have lot of highs cause I have to lower treble to -7db, but may be my room that is small.
I want to contact Electro voice support for ask what is the frequency of the "bass" and "Treble" controls, the manual only states "+-10db" of gain but don't explains de freq cut.
And yes, it sounds amazing!

Last edited:
New ZLX 12P user here!
I already have a Yamaha msr250 (200W, 10"), and I purchased this EV for do the stereo thing, It amazes me that the EV have better handling altought it weights 800grs (1.76 pounds) more than the Yamaha, the weight is better distributed.
I want to comment some things:
Say that this monitor have 1000W power is daring, the true power handling is 250W continous and 1000W peak!
I found that setting ZLX input pot very low and master very high results in noise of the tweeter, my better setting is input pot at 11 o'clock and master at -15db, with this last setting the tweeter don't makes noise.
I have it laying in the floor as monitor: my settings are "Live" and "Monitor".
My presets should have lot of highs cause I have to lower treble to -7db, but may be my room that is small.
I want to contact Electro voice support for ask what is the frequency of the "bass" and "Treble" controls, the manual only states "+-10db" of gain but don't explains de freq cut.
And yes, it sounds amazing!

I just set up my EV ZLX 12P today. I am running it through a Mackie ProFX12v2 mixing board. Using it for acoustic and vocals for now until I purchase an AX8. Any advice on proper db set ups. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom