Euro blue/red in plexi mode?

james...

Experienced
I swear I read in the wiki that if you change the euro blue tonestack to plexi and then do a 2nd tweak, it will effectively put the model in "plexi" mode. I remember this because I tried it and it sounded great. But for some reason that tweak has disappeared. Anyone remember it?

"The James Must Be Crazy" :p

Only thing I have is:

- roodboy, 1/2012: One of my favorite amp models is the Euro Blue with plexi tonestack and changed bright cap to 470. Its my idea of the Bogner 100b I have never played.

Read the same one , only one ive seen on this subject!
"The James Must Be Crazy" :p

Only thing I have is:

- roodboy, 1/2012: One of my favorite amp models is the Euro Blue with plexi tonestack and changed bright cap to 470. Its my idea of the Bogner 100b I have never played.

I love this sound, it is one of my go-to sounds (Blue Bogner Ecstasy with a Plexi Tone stack and a few tweaks). I may have tweaked a few other things in it, but one key is to vary the drive, I use a pedal, from about 2.5 up to 6, and also up the input trim to 1.4 or so. It gets clean with exp pedal back, then toe-down has just the right amount of gain and grit without saturating unnaturally. I also use the Vintage Amp voicing and then add just under 3.00 depth to compensate for some lows, plus about 2db on graphic EQ for booth 63H and 125H. I have the brite cap at 420 and the damp way up high at 8.5. As the Ecstasy manual says about the Plexi, "the more you turn it up, the better it sounds." On the real one that I owned 101b I kept the gain almost all the way up...

Reactions: yek
I do not believe the plexi mode on the Bogner Ecstasy alters its tone stack. It sure doesn't sound like it on mine. It has lower preamp dive so you can push the master higher. It lowers the gain so it acts more like a non-master amp.

Not to say that changing the tone stack to plexi would not sound good, I just don't thing that is what the Bogner does.

You could also try using a plexi amp with an xtc tone stack. That will get the gain structure in line with what the Ecstasy is trying to do.

I am inclined to agree with java. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for the actual amp to change the whole tonestack when in plexi mode.

I think the trick listed above is the one I was referencing, and whoever told me about it first must have mistakenly said that it would put the euro model in "plexi mode."

It's interesting to have a model like this that sounds infinitely better when you do a certain set of tweaks to it. (To my ears at least) Maybe someone should tell Bogner he needs to play with plexi style tone stacks and his bright capacitance.

I am inclined to agree with java. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for the actual amp to change the whole tonestack when in plexi mode.

I think the trick listed above is the one I was referencing, and whoever told me about it first must have mistakenly said that it would put the euro model in "plexi mode."

It's interesting to have a model like this that sounds infinitely better when you do a certain set of tweaks to it. (To my ears at least) Maybe someone should tell Bogner he needs to play with plexi style tone stacks and his bright capacitance.

The Ecstacy has a switch no bright and 2 different bright caps, so it already kind of does this.

It doesn't not. Plexi mode bypasses the 2nd and 3rd (in red channel) gain stages duplicating gain structure of a superlead. Plexi, Blue and Red all use the same tone stack and this is not modified with any switch position. Unless Cliff's model has a bypass cap on the CF stage of the plexi model (or XTC), I would suspect switching tonestacks would have little difference as they are schematically nearly identical. You'll get more mileage tuning the center frequency.

I do not believe the plexi mode on the Bogner Ecstasy alters its tone stack. It sure doesn't sound like it on mine. It has lower preamp dive so you can push the master higher. It lowers the gain so it acts more like a non-master amp.

Not to say that changing the tone stack to plexi would not sound good, I just don't thing that is what the Bogner does.

You could also try using a plexi amp with an xtc tone stack. That will get the gain structure in line with what the Ecstasy is trying to do.

From above //

I would be curious to find out the schematic structure of various tone stacks. i.e. Plexi tone stack is a CF driven by a gain stage with a 820R/0.68u bypassed cathode. Bogner has a simple 1k unbypassed cathode. etc. <--these are guesses. I don't know what cliff chose.

Bogner Blue Plexi

That's all helpful information. I sure had to dink with it a lot to get near the sound I used to get (where I can hear 'wood"), and this was back in FW 4 and Fw 5 era for template frankly...I actually have two PEQs in succession between amp and cab that would not seem to make sense on paper/logically, but it works...it took me a few days to get it dialed in A/B'ing back and forth...wanted to get it close before sold the Ecstasy 101b which I still maintain is one of the greatest rock n' roll amps ever made. Even Matt liked the preset when he heard it at his house and asked me for a copy...so if anyone has easier routes to get there and nail the Bogner Plexi tone, lay 'em out, love to hear other ways to get precisely there -- it's such a great sound! People have different ears, so there you go, but this through my Collings I-35 with low output Lollars is vintage rock Les Paul heaven...Allman Brothers Fillmore to Zep etc. I am not offended if anyone wants to comment as to why this does not work or is not done properly (smile), because all that matters to me is that it sounds good and I keep coming back to it playing live.

Attachments

• Bogner Plexi Stack.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 14
Come on. I know I'm not crazy. Someone has to know this.

You know what's funny? When I looked at your post I happened to glace at the post time, not noticing that the first was AM and the 'bump' was PM... all I saw was 1 minute between the two posts... and I thought, "Wow. I've just encountered the most impatient human on the planet."

Also... did you time it so they were almost precisely 12 hours apart? If not, then that's some crazy internal clock you have there. Scientists may want to have a look at you.

You know what's funny? When I looked at your post I happened to glace at the post time, not noticing that the first was AM and the 'bump' was PM... all I saw was 1 minute between the two posts... and I thought, "Wow. I've just encountered the most impatient human on the planet."

Also... did you time it so they were almost precisely 12 hours apart? If not, then that's some crazy internal clock you have there. Scientists may want to have a look at you.
I did not time it and did not notice that until you told me.

That said, I have a very good internal clock. I wake up at 7:00am every day on the minute without an alarm. Might have something to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom