Empty space inside Chassis purpose or just cautionary??

Skyze

Inspired
Im just curious..

I noticed when you see pictures of the Axe-FX standard inside, theres like 3-5 inches of empty space just connecting the cables and ribbons from the frontplate to the pcb. Picture here

axe_inside.jpg

Now, the logical "guess" is that the 3-5 inches of space is just for cooling of the unit and things aren't so close together to the ribbons and cables to make sure there is no overheating. But is this nessisary or just cautionary?

To me, it seems like they made it extra deep just because every other rack unit seems to be 12" and longer, but theres no required functionality of the extra space to be there.

Does anyone have the EXACT reason why there is so much space there? Im not talking about a guess (im sure everyone will guess its "cautionary cooling") but I'd like to know the real answer, if there is a purpose that it has exactly that much empty space there; In other words, will it not work properly if the empty space is an inch or two shorter than it currently is. Anyone know for sure?

The larger screen needs more cooling. The other option was a built in liquid cooling system, but will be in AXE-FX III. The MFC has large screen as well but the metal buttons actually work as an extra cooling surface.

Are you REALLY gonna put it in a smaller box? :D Or can't I guess that either? :p

For EMF, IMO, the further away the power supply, the better. In the II it's sitting right in your face if you're tweaking the Axe itself.
Don't know how much a few inches would help, but I'll take anything I can get, so if you see any HUGE boxes out there for me...? ;)

Back
Top Bottom