Electric Strings - What are you using?

Like you, I have had the Dean Markley experience and still use them, for over 40 years. In a pinch, I’ll use the D’Addario XL’s As well.

Not a fan of EB Super Slinky’s at all.

I'll toss in another vote for slinkys. 10s. For bass I oscillate a lot more... love tapewound esp on fretless because they don't wear the fretboard... I also like the loss of highs. Then for slap tho... I need that treble to freq use rotosound. Slinky's are nice there too. DR black beauties are a nice comprimise.

stringjoy - Balanced Super Light Plus
.0095 – .013 – .016 – .026w – .034 – .046

basically between 9s and 10s

Elixir 10s on almost all electrics. 11s on both Taylor T5s. I’ve been using the EB Primo Slinky 9.5 set on my PRS NF3 and am liking them. I might try them on a few others and see how they play there.

Stringjoy balanced 10s for me. Before that, Elixir nano webs for a long time. Before that, D'Addario XLs.

Stringjoys sound really great, and seem to last as long as the Elixirs did.

Standard Dads and Ernie's from the beginning of time and NYXLs or Paradigm if I can get a deal. And does anyone else solder the wrap?(on the standard ones ) I do these days because I kept getting plain strings (from both companies) going flat because the wrap was slipping . Even the tiniest touch of solder makes this go away.

Standard Dads and Ernie's from the beginning of time and NYXLs or Paradigm if I can get a deal. And does anyone else solder the wrap?(on the standard ones ) I do these days because I kept getting plain strings (from both companies) going flat because the wrap was slipping . Even the tiniest touch of solder makes this go away.
I'm soldering plain strings also, I think it helps.

I use a butane soldering iron for that, which is pretty convenient since I don't have a workbench with a soldering station setup all the time.

I've used Elixirs for the last 11-12 years. I used D'addarios since my teens but switched to Elixirs due to how long they last.

1. For my Jazz guitar (Ibanez AG95QA-DBS Artcore) I use Thomastik JS111 Jazz Guitar Strings - 011-047, flatwound and
D'Addario ECG23 Chromes Flatwound - polished chrome Steel, strings set for jazz guitars. Gauges:
010-014-020-028-038-048 and also Thomastik JS-111T string set for jazzguitar, flatwound, nickel plated steel, 010 and 015 tin plated, string gauge
011T,015T,019,025,035,047 (3 different sets).

2. For my 6-strings guitars (Tom Anderson Guitarworks S-Classic, Light Baby Blue and Ibanea LB1-VL) I use Elixir Optiweb 19002 Super Light 009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042 or Elixir Optiweb 19027 Custom Light 009, .011, .016, .026, .036, .046 (usually tuning is in E, sometimes but rare Eb) (this stratocaster/super strato style guitars).

3. For my 6-strings guitars (Schecter Solo Custom GNAT and SIRE L7 TBL Larry Carlton) I use Elixir Optiweb19052 Light
010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046 (Tuned E or Eb).

Those are my main string I use and sets for different kind el-guitars. I have tested quite many different strings ( Cleartone, ErnieBall, D'addario etc.).

Last edited:
I get hooked on a gauge and brand and I pretty much stay there for decades. In the past 40 years I have pretty much used 2 versions of 1 brand then switched to another brand. In the 80's I used Dean Markley's 9-42 in the yellow pack, then switched to Dean Markley Blue Steel 9-42 then about a decade ago changed to Curt Mangan Pure Nickel and wound up on 9-46 sets.

Just wondering what others are using on their electric guitars, not even so much the gauge but more so the brand and why?
Whatever I can get the cheapest at the time, I buy bulk 9-42 9-46 9.5-4410-46 and 10-48 usually D’Addario but could be EB sometimes Dunlop

I'm a Stringjoy Convert!
Played D'Addario EXL+ 095s forever. Anything else I tried didn't cut it - including NYXLs by the way.
Tried Stringjoy's Balanced 095 on a whim - will never go back.
On a clean tone, I get that piano string tone that's bright and clear. Gorgeous!

I'm a Stringjoy Convert!
Played D'Addario EXL+ 095s forever. Anything else I tried didn't cut it - including NYXLs by the way.
Tried Stringjoy's Balanced 095 on a whim - will never go back.
On a clean tone, I get that piano string tone that's bright and clear. Gorgeous!
I’m here as well …

Back
Top Bottom