Dynamic Distortion: does anyone use it, and why/how?

But seriously, no I've not really used it. I just read about it online and it looks like it could be a pretty cool thing to have in front of an amp, to dynamically change the nature of how the amp saturates. I might give that a go tonight!

But seriously, no I've not really used it. I just read about it online and it looks like it could be a pretty cool thing to have in front of an amp, to dynamically change the nature of how the amp saturates. I might give that a go tonight!

Yeah, but it's designed to go after the Amp block ...

I really like the idea, but I've never used it in any of my presets. One reason is that its applications are not very intuitive for me. When I want to achieve a certain sound, I build it first in my head using the building blocks I know. Dynamic distortion is not one of those.

My brain hurts seeing the Mid Boost preset looking like a scoop. I don't really understand how the visual curve relates to the effect.
I'll have to try it after the Amp block, I thought it was to be used like a drive pedal 🤦‍♂️

The high bits on the graph are level of distortion. So a scooped graph means bass and treble will distort, but mids won’t.

Since distortion = compression, this means as the bass and treble distort, they compress, and the mids are let through untouched, resulting in them being boosted.

… I think…

Sorry if this was answered already, but are there plans to get the block in the FM9? That’s something I‘ve been looking for some time.

OK I played with this thing all day for the lead and ended up not using it in the end. (Just keepn’it reelz.). Too much distortion. Amplifier sounds great on its own (studio20).

I’ll have to try the other scenarios … they sound interesting.

Back
Top Bottom