Dweezil Zappa - Fractal Cello

dweezil zappa said:
Hello Fractal Friends,
If anyone is interested, I posted a video clip of my version of a Fractal cello sound on dweezilzappaworld.com. I'm using a new custom signature PRS in the clip as well. You might enjoy having a look... or not... Who knows?

http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/videos/288

Cool! Very interesting.

Question though, I can somewhat understand the slow attack process (envelope controller on volume?). But I´m very impressed of the cello-like tone, how "much" of the woody tone are from the fractal(s) or is it all in your new guitar? I guess one can be quite convincing using that patch with a E-bow...

Thanks!

/mike

Cool, Dweezil!

Is that a variation of that violin patch (using the synth) that people were swapping around here for a while? And, does it use one of those acoustic IR's that have been floating around? Either way, it sounds great.

That was very convincing!!! Nice guitar too :)
Thanks for taking the time to share that...wicked.

Mark

Wow- that sounds great!

I am not the biggest fan of PRS (partly the basic body shape but more for their lack of lefty love) but that particular guitar is pretty cool. Love the inlays and figuring on the back of the neck looks sick. Having said that I would love to see you doing that using "Puke", "Madonna" or "Watermelon". :)

miketheman said:
dweezil zappa said:
Hello Fractal Friends,
If anyone is interested, I posted a video clip of my version of a Fractal cello sound on dweezilzappaworld.com. I'm using a new custom signature PRS in the clip as well. You might enjoy having a look... or not... Who knows?

http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/videos/288

Cool! Very interesting.

Question though, I can somewhat understand the slow attack process (envelope controller on volume?). But I´m very impressed of the cello-like tone, how "much" of the woody tone are from the fractal(s) or is it all in your new guitar? I guess one can be quite convincing using that patch with a E-bow...

Thanks!

/mike

None of it comes from the guitar (other than when he puts the second axe-fx in). The tone is generated by the synth, the guitar supplies the pitch and the signal to the envelope. My guess is the woody sound comes from a cab impulse I converted from a Stanford University project on modeling acoustic guitars. The had an impulse of an acoustic guitar body. I converted to an axe-fx cab impulse. Somebody, I forget who, decided to try using it for a violin sound and it worked great for getting that woody sound.

I have a patch very similar. Too bad I don't come up with great lines like that :lol:

I also really appreciate how cleanly dweezil is playing to keep glitches from coming out.

javajunkie said:
None of it comes from the guitar. The tone is generated by the synth, the guitar supplies the pitch and the signal to the envelope. My guess is the woody sound comes from a cab impulse I converted from a Stanford University project on modeling acoustic guitars. The had an impulse of an acoustic guitar body. I converted to an axe-fx cab impulse. Somebody, I forget who, decided to try using it for a violin sound and it worked great for getting that woody sound.

That person was 3 Chord Rock.
Your Acoustic IR works great, so do the Mama Bear IRs.
It's indeed impressive how he avoides those nasty loud and ugly 'artifacts' (generated when playing polyphonic).

That's awesome. Awesome tone, awesome player. Looks like the patch might be slightly more complex than the violin patch:

Dweezil wrote on May 5, 2010 at 01:44 AM
Half way through I add a second signal of modulated lead guitar from the second Fractal.

That was sweet... I love how you say it's getting closer and don't have it completely dialed in yet, Ha... she sounds good'a from my house :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom