Duties when importing gear into Canada

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
I'm on the edge of placing an order for gear made in the European Union... but it all depends on the expected duties. Is there a web site where I could search for the Canadian-imposed duty's percentages for a given category of equipment? Hopefully it's not too cryptic or ambiguous to fit a piece of gear into a category. If it matters, this is for a powered monitor made in italy. Thanks!

Last edited:
Daniel, have you tried to contact the maker (that I think is Red Sound)? I’m sure Mirko can check and let you know the final price.

I'm on the edge of placing an order for gear made in the European Union... but it all depends on the expected duties. Is there a web site where I could search for the Canadian-imposed duty's percentages for a given category of equipment? Hopefully it's not too cryptic or ambiguous to fit a piece of gear into a category. If it matters, this is for a powered monitor made in italy. Thanks!
Expect at least HST on declared value, shipper fees. Duty will depend on country of manufacture.

Yeah, I had already found these, but neither helped. The first one has an estimator (great!, I thought) but no category that fits. The second one is very cryptic and does not list speakers (except in the context of a speaker being a component of something like a cell phone). Hence my asking the community...

Expect at least HST on declared value, shipper fees. Duty will depend on country of manufacture.
Actually, it's the full taxes (HST and provincial). The duty component is the one that is currently a total mystery, and which I'd like to anticipate in order to avoid surprises.

From my experience importing all kinds of gear, over the years, it’s about 18-20%.

Yeah, I had already found these, but neither helped. The first one has an estimator (great!, I thought) but no category that fits. The second one is very cryptic and does not list speakers (except in the context of a speaker being a component of something like a cell phone). Hence my asking the community...
This will be close. Which is inline with the 18-20% I mentioned for Ontario. Your taxe in Quebec are about 2% higher.

1707445753710.png

1707454622813.png

1707454705746.png

Thanks you all for your help. It's still very confusing. There's contradictory info (the very official looking long list seems to say free, the estimator, whatever it was, says 6%, and someone mentioned earlier 18-20%...). There's gotta be a source somewhere that is accurate and official. But thanks for the input.

Thanks you all for your help. It's still very confusing. There's contradictory info (the very official looking long list seems to say free, the estimator, whatever it was, says 6%, and someone mentioned earlier 18-20%...). There's gotta be a source somewhere that is accurate and official. But thanks for the input.

Careful for ups or FedEx broker fees too. These can be avoided if you know how to self clear a package

Back
Top Bottom