Duplicating an effect, vol. 2 - EHx Knockout

So I was looking through some stompboxes the other day, and I came across an effect which I had shunned a couple years before, seeing only a 2-band EQ and a dry pot. However...I went back and read the specs, and it seems that there's more going on than that with this box.

Low - 7-pole lowpass filter w/ cutoff @ 85 Hz
Dry - Obvious
High - 6-pole highpass filter w/ cutoff @ 6.5 kHz

Demo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZfwhrBeBPw&fmt=18

Simply curious as to how one might set up a block to duplicate this.

Cheers.

yek said:
miketheman said:
I thought based on your thread name that you were going to do a "duplicate" of Bill Ruppert EHX Effectology series
(http://www.youtube.com/user/Effectology#p/u)
Now that would be a fun project indeed!

That would be something! We need someone like Javajunkie to accomplish that. It would be fun.

Well, we could all dig into it and try to do a collaboration. It should actually be possible to do some basic "routing templates" in the Axe-Edit based on the routing graphics in all these effectology videos, and then sharing different patches with all our efforts in them. The settings will probably be trail-and-error based but in meantime most of us finds some unique settings and sounds as well...

Sadly, I´m not around my Ultra to often. But I´ll look into doing a such project... at least for straighten my own bemusement of this unit.

/Mike

how about splitting a signal - shunt one row, crossover to another and feed the hi part of the crossover to one filter, the low to another then feed those + a dry signal to a mixer block?

I'm not terribly clear one the whole pole vs order thing but I believe order = pole or zeros which ever is greater. I could and probably am misunderstanding that though. But that might give you 2 6 pole filters.
Cliff outlined a way to create a pseudo first 1st order filter, but I really didn't understand it.

I would love to hear from someone who really know this stuff to clear it up.

Come to think of it...wouldn't a shelving low and high EQ blended on either side of the shunted clean signal achieve the same effect (the mix being the key parameter of the effect)?

I think a single PEQ might be all you'd need. Use bands 1 & 5 set to shelving. The Q setting gives some control over steepness; if you need more leave Q around .707 and add a second PEQ in series with the same settings but lower band gain. If 12 dB isn't enough high/low boost you can cut a center band with a low Q setting then turn the block up. Increasing block level while reducing band 1 & 5 gain would be like turning up the dry knob on the pedal.

FreaqyFrequency said:
Come to think of it...wouldn't a shelving low and high EQ blended on either side of the shunted clean signal achieve the same effect (the mix being the key parameter of the effect)?

Yes, but it wouldn't have the same roll off . but that may not be an issue. I think a mixer would be easier than having to change 3 knobs w/ just one PEQ.

Back
Top Bottom