Dumbles closer than ever

greiswig

Power User
I'm not prone to gushing, but 17 is a great upgrade. The transformer and tape modes in the cab section, used lightly, add real character. But the ODS is kind of home for me. This firmware is a real step up on those models. Try Ford 2, up the input gain and overdrive a little above stock, roll off the bass to about 3-4, mid at 5-6, treble 5-7. Add a bit of cathode compression, and don't be too shy there...20-30%. Add some overall compression on that tab if you like the "talent in a box" Dumble singing tone.

Punch in a cab mix of one of OwnHammer's G12-65 cabs mixed with the Beatle cab. Put the cab preamps to tape 35, 2 on drive and saturation. Maybe add just a bit of treble if it needs it, but...

Now roll some Robben Ford licks if you can.

Wow, that's really good.

I had to sub for a guy at a gig last weekend and they weren't comfy with a digital rig, so I broke out my little Glaswerks combo that I haven't used in a year or so. Conveniently, that was still sitting nearby last night when I turned up 17 because I was too tired after the gig to put it in the music closet. So I fired it up with the AxeFX and do a quick compare.

Here's why the AxeFX is so nice: it's great to try for your favorite tones from your favorite old amps, but...I found myself trying to get some of the same character out of the Glaswerks that I have dialed in to the AxeFX. NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. That is really significant to me. Are they identical? No. The amp still has a feel to it that is better in some regards. But tone-wise, I actually found myself preferring a lot of what I was hearing from the AxeFX. And I guarantee the audience has a better experience every time, and it is easier to repeat from one venue to another.

Just...wow. Thank you, Fractal Crew!

Great post that
thumbsup.gif

I haven't tried them yet. I can't wait. I'll have to create a couple presets this afternoon, when my wife gets off her conference calls.

I actually stumbled upon this same setting last night but I'm using the Triptik 1x12 mix. Yes, love it.

Back
Top Bottom