Don't know what you've got...

...until you try to replace it or in my case, find a backup for it. I've been happily gigging my Standard for almost a year now without a backup. As solid as the Axe is, it's just not in my nature to not have a backup. I'm usually all about reducing, if not eliminating, the number of single points of failure in my rig but have been lazy the past year. So, I've recently turned my attention to building some redundancy into my rig.

I've been investigating several options in an attempt to come up with something that's relatively inexpensive but not total garbage. In order to keep things nice and neat with as few cables and power considerations as possible, I've decided that I would prefer another rack unit. The problem is, I can't get excited about any of the units I've checked out. I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on anything. The ultimate result of all my research has not been the identification of a suitable backup but rather the discovery of just how much I love the Axe-FX.

Here's what I learned about my Axe:

* I love the UI and find it easier to use than other units. Yeah, there are a gozillion parameters but I can always get to what I need quickly.
* I love that there are a gozillion parameters and options to explore when I feel like it but that it's not necessary to tweak them all to get great tone.
* I love the flexible routing options.
* I love the sound of it.
* I love that sound guys love the sound of it.
* I love the touch sensitivity of it.
* I'm not sure I love the fact that it has destroyed my GAS for pedals and amps but my bank account seems to. The buying and flipping days are over.

I suppose that's my review of the Axe-FX in a nutshell. Now I have to figure out how to save the $$$ for the "backup" ;) ;) I've decided that I really want after all -- an Ultra. :cool:

lol. I carry a boss GT-8 with me, and pray I never have to use it. I also keep in mind that if a bar has really bad power, I'm not risking my Axe-FX. In that case, they get what they deserve...

I had a total amp failure the other night with my tube amp setup. Luckily the bass player lived near by and went home and got an amp for me to use. As I put together my Axe setup I am throwing in my old GSP21 into the rack as a just in case item. It makes noise. I could at least get through a show if I had to.

I hope I never have to use it.

randocaster said:
lol. I carry a boss GT-8 with me, and pray I never have to use it. I also keep in mind that if a bar has really bad power, I'm not risking my Axe-FX. In that case, they get what they deserve...
I carry my GT10 as a backup and do the same.. pray I never have to use it. No matter how hard I try, I cannot get the tones out of it that I want. On the Ultra its a breeze. Yes, I can get similar "tone" on the GT10, but nothing like the playability. But hey, it's a backup. I should probably power it up and play it some - make sure it still works if I need it :)

I have been looking at the GT-10. I've owned the GT-8 twice, though, and figured that if giving it two chances didn't work before, a third probably isn't going to work for me either. I gigged with a Digitech GNX3000 for a while and got good results but found the Digitech interface tough to tweak on the gig. I've also used a POD but became frustrated with it on a gig and also sent it on its way.

But, you guys have reminded me that it is just a backup after all so maybe I should stop being so picky. I blame Cliff. :D

I actually plugged in my VG-99 last night - for the 1st time in months. I still have it as I've had no luck at all in selling it.

While the COSM guitar modelling IS spectacular (strat, pauls, acoustic, etc.) after 30 mins playing thru some of the patches I had previously build (and some of the factory presets for a reminder) a realized just how "digital" it sounds compared to the Axe. When I A/B'd them, the depth, "thickness" and control of the amp models is so-o-o much BETTER on the Axe, makes me wonder what I ever heard in the VG99. We are totally spoiled with the Axe.

Now I've got to plug in the GT10 (like a stated earlier) and try that.

Yup, it's only a backup like you said friendlyranger, so I'm not overly concerned about having a GT10 for that purpose. I can get by with it. Besides, many here have been gigging their Axe for years. It's pretty solid.

Back
Top Bottom