Does FAS have interest in creating an amp model editor that we could use to build schematics and load a new amp model into the AxeFX?

Variable

Inspired
Assuming doing so won't reveal any IP through reverse engineering, this could be a cool next step for the AxeFX. I would love to tinker at the schematic level to build amps that don't exist and use the AxeFX to learn more about how the circuit and component changes alter tone. I could even see amp makers using that to prototype a new amp more quickly.

Any interest?

There would be probably a handful of people who would be willing to take the time to do something like that. I mean we don't have people jumping in here saying "hey, I cloned X amp by adjusting all these advanced parameters on this existing amp model!" or "hey, I made something unique sounding by messing with these advanced params on this model!"

Cool idea but probably bad from a marketing standpoint. Many mods can be done as it is. Changing out tonestacks, bright caps, plate resistor bypass caps, voltage levels, bias, all kinds of stuff that I don’t even understand. We have amps of many topologies to play with, so really this thing is a mod platform in many respects. It just depends on how deep you want to go.

Assuming doing so won't reveal any IP through reverse engineering, this could be a cool next step for the AxeFX. I would love to tinker at the schematic level to build amps that don't exist and use the AxeFX to learn more about how the circuit and component changes alter tone. I could even see amp makers using that to prototype a new amp more quickly.

Any interest?
This might be the buffoon in me talking, but don’t we already have that possibility? When I showed the current advanced options to a boutique amp builder he said that he could now “build” any amp, including his own (Meyer Amps). Again, I haven’t got a clue about the inner workings of an amp, but I can’t imagine what’s missing in order to do the thing Variable is talking about.

I would totally love this.Thats the future evolution path imo for fractal
, too many basic control plugins and gear everywhere. Fractals already letting us control a great deal of things with the advanced parameters ,so they are already much better than the rest. However due to the technicality of it i am pretty most people would not remotely be interested in this ,and it is true most people dont need this either .

I find this interesting,

Who still knows the DSP system from Creameware or today Sonic Core.
As an option there was a SDK Developer package, where it was possible with a graphical editor to create your own modules and plugins.
From an audio branching to a mammoth synthesizer from thousands of individual components.

But despite the graphical editor, it was anything but easy.
And by the demand it brings with it certainly not suitable for everyone.

But if you now go and a self-creatable block like the GRIT in AFX represents and this can be filled with components.
So the same way of thinking from left to right input to output,
as well as the same linking possibilities.
Does everyone understand that easier.
Now the pool of components is still missing depending on what I want to create to choose from. Input Output Preamp Sound module Compressor Reverb etc.

In the professional mode only components are offered, resistors Elkes tube adjusters etc.

A self-created block can then be recorded e.g. via the library.

But this also means that when changing the FW also the editor
must be plagued
And also the FW and the editor must be developed first.

people would ask for Basic controls only.
at the same time, a musician is not necessarily interested in electronics, how to make an amp or build a guitar... most of the time, luthiers are poor musicians, and I even met someone who made tube amps while he was not even able playing guitar! 😅. it's another world. there are people who buy mysical products to make music, by chance. Personally I’m a geek a little bit, but I respect the ones that need simple things to do their art

Last edited:
The only extra parameters like I'd like to have would be the ability to change the preamp tube types individually. After years of tube rolling I've found specific combinations that I prefer.

This was discussed by a few of us back in 2011. Cliff was considering, but it didn’t get traction.

This is actually an idea I'm toying with. The idea is to have a graphical interface that generates the text file. As with cabinets, there would be a number of user slots. You can create your own amp models and load them via the editor.

Very cool huh?

Back
Top Bottom