Does anyone think the rotary should be in the cab block? Are there any rotary cab IR’s or IR’s that come close?

A real Leslie cab has two separate drivers that spin independently, a high frequency horn and a low/mid frequency drum. You'd need separate IRs for each and there's no way to separate the signal going into the rotary block to affect each separately. Applying a single IR of any kind to the whole signal is not really going to be particularly accurate either way, but it still works well enough. Rotary sounds pretty fantastic to me as is.

A real Leslie cab has two separate drivers that spin independently, a high frequency horn and a low/mid frequency drum. You'd need separate IRs for each and there's no way to separate the signal going into the rotary block to affect each separately. Applying a single IR of any kind to the whole signal is not really going to be particularly accurate either way, but it still works well enough. Rotary sounds pretty fantastic to me as is.
Really sounds good with my AITR-ish reverb block stuck in parallel to the main signal line downstream somewhere. Try the Large Wooden Room (channel A)....

https://v-z-a.com/sites/default/files/midi-backup-file-2021-09/AITR-ish Reverb_20210925_143151.blk

Yes, and we have stereo cabs. Shoot an IR for the horn and another for the drum. Problem solved.

From what I can tell it’s impractical to create an IR of a spinning Leslie speaker.

Starting with https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Impulse_responses_(IR)#IR_length and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_speaker

The drum and rotor spin at different speeds whether they’re running fast or slow, so an IR would have to capture up to the point where both speakers crossed their original starting points at the same time otherwise the resulting IR would have a weird artifact. So there’s probably two different versions of the IR…

But it gets even worse because an Impulse Response is a tiny burst of sound that is supposed to occur before echoes in the room can bounce back and be captured. With sound traveling at 1100 feet/second, it’s going to take a big room.

During that process all outside/extraneous sounds need to be ignored by the capturing microphones, because, remember, two spinning speakers need to be captured and they’re driven by two motors, pulleys and belts that can make noise.

And then there’s the differing speeds that other versions and different company’s versions rotate at, and their different cabinet types, and the different ways their amplifiers distort…

And then there’s the needed IRs used to accommodate standard rotations plus speeding up, slowing down, and braking….

I’m not going to do the math because it doesn’t mix well with the couple glasses of wine I had with dinner, but my preliminary checks put it firmly in the nuh-uh range.
I think you are close to ready for closing with Cognac or a good whisky. Funny and interesting analysis. For me the actual block is great as is, but well that's just me.

Not quite. There's no way to send each part of the rotary to each specific cab. You can't pan them separate as the rotary effect is stereo for both the horn and drum.
Again of course.... I'm aware of this. You could have a different mode in the Cab block that applies the rotary effect doppler etc to the two selected IRs. I don't see how that would be impossible. Some people only see hurdles..... Do I suspect that it's going to be implemented? No...

I don't care if some people like it the way it is. I'd like it to be better. Funny though, if Cliff implemented something like this it would be heralded as a stroke of genius by all. Anyway, I think it would be possible to do, but I'd be happy enough with some Leslie cabinet IRs.

Wondering what the Leslie afficionados here think about the Leslie power amps (122,147...) wrt their impact on Leslie tone - should these amps be modelled somehow in Axefx to improve the rotary effect?

Re the "its already really good" comments - sure, but the Axefx is all about striving for perfection - we see this with the amp modelling relentlessly inching toward "99.99999% there" - why not the same outlook for the rotary fx?

Last edited:
Wondering what the Leslie afficionados here think about the Leslie power amps (122,147...) wrt their impact on Leslie tone - should these amps be modelled somehow in Axefx to improve the rotery effect?

Re the "its already really good" comments - sure, but the Axefx is all about striving for perfection - we see this with the amp modelling relentlessly inching toward "99.99999% there" - why not the same outlook for the rotery fx?
The tube power amp in those is definitely a big part of their sound. IIRC (it's been a while since I looked at the schematic for one of these), they run a cathode biased pair of 6550s for about 40W or so. There are preamp breakout boxes with volume/tone controls to accept "combo" organs and other instruments with 1/4" connections (like guitars) which plug into the 6-pin socket on the unit where one normally connects the organ.

The rotary sounds quite good in the AxeFX3 when run relatively clean, but the drive control makes the sound a little 'zizzy' when cranked up too high. Don't have a real Leslie to compare it to with my guitar to see if the drive tone compares well or not, but, FWIW, I keep that drive control relatively low....

Back
Top Bottom