Does anyone believe that the AxeFX II Looper should be a global function?

Gabaghoul

Inspired
I was thinking about the looper on my way to work this morning and I realized the integration of the feature seems incorrect to me. I really believe it should be a function that exists outside and above any preset in the unit to allow for preset switching so you can record a loop in the background using one preset, say a rhythm track, and then switch to a lead preset to solo over. Effectively, it should be a module on its own.

By tying this function to a preset, it doesn't allow for preset switching and thereby limits its usefulness. Of course, "usefulness" might be too harsh a word. We could probably say that it's usefulness could be greatly increased by that enhancement. I like that better.

Right now, I'd rather use my Jamman Stereo than the internal looper because of this issue.

Does anyone agree or am I off my rocker? Or am I missing something?

that'd be nice, but i always thought the looper was expecting too much from the axe. want dedicated looping? use an external looper pedal. then you can do whatever you want. i never like over loading my tools.

I get the idea you're talking about, but coming from a pedals plus amp perspective rather than a "preset" perspective, my presets tend to start clean with the option to dial up gain and effects with virtual pedals, so it's not really an issue for me.

With a little creative use of x/y switching, expression pedal(s)/switches and/or IA stompbox style switches you should be able to layer all kinds of different sounds in one patch for your looping pleasure. It may not be your preferred style of working, but it works for me.

You can switch presets with the looper, you just have to make sure there is a looper block in the preset you are switching to and enable spillover. I use the looper all the time and I love it.

I was thinking about the looper on my way to work this morning and I realized the integration of the feature seems incorrect to me. I really believe it should be a function that exists outside and above any preset in the unit to allow for preset switching so you can record a loop in the background using one preset, say a rhythm track, and then switch to a lead preset to solo over. Effectively, it should be a module on its own.

By tying this function to a preset, it doesn't allow for preset switching and thereby limits its usefulness. Of course, "usefulness" might be too harsh a word. We could probably say that it's usefulness could be greatly increased by that enhancement. I like that better.

Right now, I'd rather use my Jamman Stereo than the internal looper because of this issue.

Does anyone agree or am I off my rocker? Or am I missing something?
Gave up on the AXE looper. Not just 'causeit ain't global, but because I can't do things like record a verse loop, a chorus loop, and a bridge loop, and tap between 'em, or record 3 (or 4) loops, with one loop as a short rhythm loop and the others as synced multiples of that loop, or 3-4 totally unsynced loops. I can do all that and more with the Boomarang III. It took me a LONG time struggling with the Axe looper before I realized it's kind of a toy, useless except in the most simple applications. Let me tell you: i have more crap on the floor, but I am FINALLY able to do what I want, and my mind is at peace since I made this decision. We've been bitching about the looper since '07. It got a facelift in 6.0, but it's still not nearly powerful enough. The II is awesome. its looper ain't. Do yourself a favor: go dedicated!

[...] to allow for preset switching so you can record a loop in the background using one preset, say a rhythm track, and then switch to a lead preset to solo over. Effectively, it should be a module on its own.

By tying this function to a preset, it doesn't allow for preset switching and thereby limits its usefulness. [...] Or am I missing something?

You're missing that those wishes are already available :D You can switch patches and the looper keeps its content and running mode (i.e. keeps on playing).

Given that the Axe's looper is by no means a substitute for a full blown looper, I think it's actually an advantage that it's patch-based: you can place it anywhere in the grid and you can make use of all the routing options. This would be impossible if it was tied to, let's say, the end of the grid.

You can switch presets with the looper, you just have to make sure there is a looper block in the preset you are switching to and enable spillover. I use the looper all the time and I love it.

Interesting. I did not realize that. I guess I should RTFM.:). Got to look Spillover as well. Not sure how that works or where it is set.

Back
Top Bottom