Does anyone actually like the pickup selector on the upper side?

I like the Strat position. The only problem I've had sometimes is that I hit it so hard that the plastic cap goes flying. And guess where it goes? To the same Bermuda Triangle of the lost picks
This happens on singlecuts/les pauls too haha.

I like it there, it's out of the way yet eminently reachable, so I can just slap at it and get what I want. FWIW I never use the middle position on a 3-way toggle. Just don't enjoy that sound. When I did a Tele-like guitar, guess what I did for the switch?

IMG_8608.JPG
Yes, indeed.

IMG_0008.JPG

The worst has to be the rotary switch on some PRS guitars. Not only is the rotary switch choice odd, but it's way the hell behind the bridge. Some folks like it, but it's not for me. Glad to see they've moved to mostly toggle and blade switches these days.
The good news is that those rotary switches are gone from the current models. I reckon they finally came up with a lever switch that could give them the right combination of settings. The position is still, uh, not great if you have a trem.

BTW you shoulda seen Paul Smith playing with those rotary switches back in the day. He'd whack the living crap out of them to make his pickup changes. I figure he knew where he could get more if he broke one...

I like it on the upper bout, but, I am more of a double cut fan. The PRS 594 put them together. I had to get one. I really like the ergonomics of that guitar. I approach each guitar based on where the controls are as others have mentioned. A single cut or my 594 just feel good in the pickup selector respect to me.

I have guitars with the switch on the upper bout, the typical Strat 3-way position, where it’s farther back like a Tele, and where it is the last control somewhere in the space by the bridge … and then are the ones where the volume controls have swapped positions.

They’re all a bit confusing when I haven’t played a particular guitar for a while, but I find I adjust in a few minutes and don’t notice it again.

Would I want them to be identical? Not really.

Which is my favorite? The one I’m having fun playing.

I've been daily driving my Nuno N7 these days which has the switch over by the bottom horn, and no tone knob. It's been great.

Especially since I swapped the switch out for a 6-way Freeway switch, and the orientation is a bit different than stock just because of how it fit in the cavity. I'm used to it now but it'd probably be weird for anyone else :p

Regular 5-way blade is fine by me in most other cases, don't really like the upper horn placement, but I've never really been a Paul player anyway.

I like both the usual LP toggle and the regular Strat switch in their usual positions.

I don't like an LP-style toggle down there where the volume and tone knobs are.

I think a lot of designs, such as the Les Paul, were just never improved on. Many manufacturers place the toggle where it is aesthetically pleasing.

Hard to push through improvements once something is a revered icon, even if they are useful improvements. People get irrationally grumpy when things change, even for the better....

Form should always follow function.

Mostly, yes....

No. I've never liked it there, probably because I often strum up in that area and not just near the bridge. It is convenient for quick changes and every Strat type is slightly different, but I'd still rather have it over the upper bout.
The worst has to be the rotary switch on some PRS guitars. Not only is the rotary switch choice odd, but it's way the hell behind the bridge. Some folks like it, but it's not for me. Glad to see they've moved to mostly toggle and blade switches these days.
As much as I love PRS's, this ^^^

I like it there, it's out of the way yet eminently reachable, so I can just slap at it and get what I want. FWIW I never use the middle position on a 3-way toggle. Just don't enjoy that sound. When I did a Tele-like guitar, guess what I did for the switch?

IMG_8608.JPG
Nice Fiddle! What brand?

Much prefer the Les Paul location. When using my Strats and Teles, I always have to be careful not to hit a volume knob.
Love that it's isolated on the LP.

Back
Top Bottom