Do you still need 4x12 cabinets onstage??- Rosanna (TOTO) final guitar solo

Do you need a 4x12 on stage? No.
Do you need FRFR on stage? No.
You could just use in-ears.

However if you want some stage volume you could use an FRFR and that's fine. Alternatively you could use a guitar cabinet and that's fine too.
FRFR on stage is necessary to have a backline reinforcement and, most important, the possibility to make feedback with guitar.

FRFR on stage is necessary to have a backline reinforcement and, most important, the possibility to make feedback with guitar.
I can get plenty of feedback and squeal just using my IEM's.
I prefer a wedge monitor in front of me just because the IEM's shut out everything except my mix...so I can't hear the crowd.

But yeah, if you are in the PA out front the sympathetic harmonics will "catch" and you can sustain, feedback, etc. just as easily as with a cab onstage.
I've played so many "silent stages" at big gigs here in Vegas that we weren't allowed to have ANY kind of monitor except in-ears.
And I'm playing 80's hair band and hard rock kind of stuff with lots of guitar insanity. lol

Thank you Guys but please... as I wrote the audio is get by iPhone microphones in the hand of my son...
You should skilled enough to understand the quality is very low and it strongly depends of the position of the iPhone.
Consider the compression of the recording too when the drum start to play loud.
Newest iPhone microphones tend to bring the drums WAY out front. If you point your iPhone towards the drums, it’ll be all you will be hearing.

With guitar cab you can’t simulate the cabinet who is the relevant part of the sound.
Sure you can. We're just talking about stage sound. You can still send cab sims to FOH.

Also, if you have a real cab you love you don't need to simulate a cabinet. For example, some folks will often find their favorite IR and then use that for all their tones. That's not all that different from choosing a real cabinet you love.

Understand, I'm not saying people shouldn't use FRFR. It's absolutely an acceptable way to do things. I'm saying that using a real cab for stage sound is also perfectly acceptable. I actually agree with your original point: that you don't need a 4x12 on stage. You can use FRFR and it can sound great. You don't even need any stage sound in certain situations. I'm just saying that having a real cabinet is still a perfectly viable solution.

I’ve been wrestling with the concept of going FRFR but the one thing I keep coming back to is: what about when I’m doing a gig where there’s no guitar through the PA and the stage volume is all the crowd will get of my guitar? How would that work? Has anyone in this thread had experience with this?

I’ve been wrestling with the concept of going FRFR but the one thing I keep coming back to is: what about when I’m doing a gig where there’s no guitar through the PA and the stage volume is all the crowd will get of my guitar? How would that work? Has anyone in this thread had experience with this?
I don't have experience with that but conceptually I'd think FRFR should work just as well as real cabs and vice versa. FRFRs can definitely put out plenty of volume.

You could probably think of the FRFR system as the PA in this case right?

I don't have experience with that but conceptually I'd think FRFR should work just as well as real cabs and vice versa. FRFRs can definitely put out plenty of volume.

You could probably think of the FRFR system as the PA in this case right?
Yes. You can generally run an FRFR as a wedge or as a backline cab.

I did a live in this situation for an end-of-year show in a music school, we were in a bass+vocal/guitar/drums trio, only the voice was amplified by the FOH, at the time I was using a CLR powered speaker, so I used the CLR as a classic combo amp mounted on a table halfway up the back of the stage, as I was playing wirelessly I was able to do my balance myself .... to adjust the volume of the amp being directly next to the spectators. After the performance, I was told that the guitar was going well and was perfectly audible. So for me it was a risky but successful experience.
In this situation it is necessary to have a fairly powerful FRFR

I did a live in this situation for an end-of-year show in a music school, we were in a bass+vocal/guitar/drums trio, only the voice was amplified by the FOH, at the time I was using a CLR powered speaker, so I used the CLR as a classic combo amp mounted on a table halfway up the back of the stage, as I was playing wirelessly I was able to do my balance myself .... to adjust the volume of the amp being directly next to the spectators. After the performance, I was told that the guitar was going well and was perfectly audible. So for me it was a risky but successful experience.
In this situation it is necessary to have a fairly powerful FRFR
Glad the gig went well!

Good point about the power - as a rule FRFR power needs to be quite a bit more than rated guitar amp power for the same purpose. This is why there are 500W FRFR monitors. IMO if a 40W guitar amp will do the job, then you'll need a 200-300W FRFR. The point is not volume, but clean headroom and transient dynamics.

Glad the gig went well!

Good point about the power - as a rule FRFR power needs to be quite a bit more than rated guitar amp power for the same purpose. This is why there are 500W FRFR monitors. IMO if a 40W guitar amp will do the job, then you'll need a 200-300W FRFR. The point is not volume, but clean headroom and transient dynamics.
you think of a 40W tube amp , I can add that the CLR has a wider sound distribution than a classical guitar speaker, this promotes the quality of listening on stage. I don't know if this is true for all FRFR

Back
Top Bottom