Do USB cables matter?

jack5150

Hi there,

Do USB cables make much of a difference when recording?
I did a quick search and found cables ranging from $40 Monster cables to $250 Audioquest cables.
What do you guys use?

The cheapest USB cable you can find will perform just as well as the most expensive one. USB either works or it doesn't—"fidelity" doesn't matter. If the signal quality is good enough for USB to operate at all, it will operate at full performance.

Cable quality won't improve the signal quality when we're talking about a digital signal. All that's going over the wire are ones and zeroes, as long as that arrives on the other end you're good.

The same principle applies to HDMI cables. A simple $5 cable will function as well as a gold plated titanium inlaid diamond weave $5000 cable. Provided that the signal makes it all the way through.

Last edited:
Yep - cable quality matters for analogue signal transmition - but not for digital. Its a HUGE rip-off due to people having it in their head quality cable makes a difference.

You may get a benefit from decent plugs - but not from a quality of sound perspective, more a quality of fit/longevity. For USB cables - just get the one you can find - even $40 is 10x what you need to pay.

Cool. Well I'm using a cheap printer one that works just fine :)
My curiosity was aroused when I came across some ridiculously overpriced ones online.

Optical, USB, HDMI are ALL Digital.
They Speak in 1s and 0s.
Depending on System Voltage (Or Light in the Case of Optical)
So if the System uses 12 Volts a 1=12 volts and a 0 = 0 Volts.
So you need A TON of noise to Change that.
Monster and the Others are praying on the uninformed that had experiences with Component Cables on earlier High Def TVs, which was Analog.
The only fear with SUPER cheap cables is Pins Coming loose.

The cable industry is awash with overpriced products, smoke and mirrors—both digital and analog. Cable manufacturers have one of the highest BS factors in the industry.

I've had cheap USB cables that just didn't work very well and it usually consists of it not loading the device properly or it doing the hokey-pokey where it connects and the disconnects and reconnects and then turns itself around.

I've had cheap USB cables that just didn't work very well and it usually consists of it not loading the device properly or it doing the hokey-pokey where it connects and the disconnects and reconnects and then turns itself around.
Sometimes the really cheap USB cables have poorly-made connectors that don't make good contact. That can cause problems. But the load comes from the downstream device, not from the cable, so a cheap cable won't cause load problems.

Back
Top Bottom