Disappointed :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me for repeating comments I've made before about similar posts. I do not understand how you can be so disappointed. I'm a big tube amp fan "tubes all the way, I dont care about the weight" but the AxeFx has useable tones right out of the box. And at least in my experience hooking it up, making it work, so on and so forth is easy. All the posts I read about problems with the AxeFx makes me think that I am either extremely fortunate (can't be) or I'm a genius, and an outstanding guitarist as well, makes sense, how else can it be so good for me and so much trouble for others? Yes I agree it must be the latter.

You have to listen to the old pros and heed their advice because you simply have no idea what you're doing. Once you do, the world is your oyster, and you'll see why great guitarists and bands swear by the big black box. This thing is smarter and more inclusive than you can possibly imagine. I've been at it nearly four years and still learning new things every time I turn it on, which is admittedly not every day and not for very long (such is life - I am not a professional musician, just a guy with expensive taste and hobbies).

1 - Clean out old girl of whatever mistakes the previous owner made to cause them to (foolishly) sell to you
2 - Install the latest firmware
3 - Install the factory preset banks and cabs (most importantly for the cabs to start with - explore these before you go off and but a zillion cab packs).
4 - Watch the video tutorials.
5 - Build your presets from scratch.
6 - Learn about how to manipulate sag and bias and things like that, which give a surprising amount of character.

+1

I just want to add to your point 5.

Pick a tune from an artist you like - google to find out what equipment they used on the recording.

Now start to build a new preset starting with the amp and cab and tweak until your close... then slowly add any Fx used.

Also, OP's last post several months ago with not being able to connect via usb, ended where he thought his Mac was garbage ... never did get back to whether that was ever solved. It would be common courtesy to those that tried helping, to see your posts to the end.

And if you have any doubt as to what you can sound like with the AF2, search the forum for Larry Mitchell or Danny Danzi ... now the talent-side may be another story!

1318032697587.jpg

:D

Not sure what's going on (A clip or preset would help....), but finding a great tone can be very easy, if you're not after metal, just whack in an AC30TB and one of the silver or blue 2x12 cabs. It sounds just like my AC30TBX when I do it. I always take out some 125hz in the amp section EQ to avoid muddiness as well. Try to avoid amps that are a pig to dial in to begin with (MKIIC+ I'm looking at you).

A lot of us here on the forum have been playing all of our lives so we have owned a lot of the gear you mentioned. I think what separates a unit like the Axe-FX is that there are so many options and options as far as FRFR versus traditional, types of cabs, IRs, etc.

As others have mentioned, IRs make a huge difference. There are also so many things in the chain that make a difference on the overall tone. Most people here don't just use the factory presets without some type of tweaking. For my personal setup (FRFR with Friedman ASM-12), I have to cut the mids a bit or it just doesn't sound right.

I've been there same situation but I knew something I was doing was wrong. Tweeking/IRS/global eq for my room, changed everything.

There are tons of these posts by newbies read them!

Obviously if u hear tones from others you like they exist in this amazing box. Don't give up!

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, IRs make a huge difference. There are also so many things in the chain that make a difference on the overall tone. Most people here don't just use the factory presets without some type of tweaking. For my personal setup (FRFR with Friedman ASM-12), I have to cut the mids a bit or it just doesn't sound right.

I think there is a bit of a difference between not sounding quite "right" and sounding horribly disappointing though....

I got my ASM-12 about 1 or 2 days after I got my AX8 (have been long time mkII owner, still am) and I plugged the ASM-12 straight into the AX8, and with zero tweaks having been done, it sounded pretty darn good. Preset order didn't match up to what my mkII has, but I'd find a cleaner patch, and it sounded like a clean amp, find a dirty amp, and it would sound again, like a dirty amp.

Now, yes, there are slight adjustments that the ASM-12 needs, in comparison to other speakers like the CLR, which is more apparent playing them side by side, BUT, again, I can't see how someone would think an Axe-FX XL, or AX8 etc, into basically any monitor sounds that bad....

Essentially every person who's played my rig has thought it sounds good. NOT every person had gone out and bought one of course, but NO ONE has ever said anything remotely close to "that sounds awful".

I'm sitting here writing this with a tele in my lap, and I"m playing the factory 100 watt Plexi patch, 009, which has had zero tweaks, and I"m listing through single power 6" desktop studio monitor (had to unplugg the other one so I could plug in my printer lol) and with zero adjustments to anything, it sounds what I would subjectively call "good".

It sounds like a loud Marshall, with a low output tele pickup, classic rock; zero work, zero trying a hundred IR's, etc. Now sure, maybe I might like a different cab even better, but the tone is instantly usable for covering hundreds of songs, straight from the box.

I don't know, maybe I'm not picky enough, maybe I've got a bad ear etc, but I've owned countless amps over the years, think I know good tone, and as I'm sitting here playing some Billy F. Gibbons riffs I can't say the word "disappointed" has crossed my mind.....

I just updated to FW 6.03 and loaded the new preset banks from December.
Sounds great to me, maybe best ever stock sounds out of the box.

Do a reset, make sure everything is fresh.
Then create your own preset.
Start off with a Jumpered Plexi and use Factory Cab #103. Put a reverb block at the end of the chain of ya like.
Pretty simple straight forward classic setup with a known favorite Cab amongst many users.
Tweak the normal amp settings like ya normally would.

Disagree. I deliberately didn't mention that. This guy needs his own sound thru the axe for his project. Wasting time and effort trying to sound like someone else is pretty pointless.

Unless you are trying to learn the AF2... this way, he has a standard to work towards ... rather than what's in his head. I was in the same boat as the OP and that solved it for me.

OP has been at this for at least 3 months!

Last edited:
This happens occasionally. The forum gets 'my axe sounds like @ss' posts from frustrated new users from time-to-time. All get through it (well, those who spend a little time digging in...)

-Muddy: Not sure about this one...it makes me think there is something not right in your setup.
-IR's are critical. Look to those first and watch some of the excellent 'tone shaping with an IR' videos out there. You should find an amp, and scroll through IR's until you say 'it's close' and work from that (don't get caught up in the exact IR..i.e Marshall and Greenbacks, etc, just LISTEN to what sounds right.)
-Pick ONE AMP, and work with it. No FX, no sillyness, just learn all you can about how make that sound great. Everything else it sort of gravy (well, Curry, since you're in the Isle) after that.

All you have to do for proof is look at the huge amount of recorded samples out there (check 'Recordings' here, and just youtube it) and know that there are incredible sounds in the box...you just need to get over the hump and figure out what's turning your tone into mud.

Good luck.

R

I've had the same problem at the beginning. Only one thing solved 90% of all my problems with middle and high gain presets: in the cab block, low and high cut. It's funny, people mention this so rarely here. Low cut around 100 Hz and high cut from 8500 Hz (and then to taste) makes the whole difference in the tone. From here you can tweak everything else but this has definitely the biggest impact. And every beginner has to go through the same problem...

I've had the same problem at the beginning. Only one thing solved 90% of all my problems with middle and high gain presets: in the cab block, low and high cut. It's funny, people mention this so rarely here. Low cut around 100 Hz and high cut from 8500 Hz (and then to taste) makes the whole difference in the tone. From here you can tweak everything else but this has definitely the biggest impact. And every beginner has to go through the same problem...
This!:)

i'm sitting here watching Kemper videos and thinking to myself "but what if i want to turn the gain down?" You can't, a Kemper isn't the answer for me either but why am i even looking at them?

The gain knob on the front of the Kemper can do both, raise and lower the gain. That said, I'd definitely recommend spending a little time getting familiar with the Axe before throwing in the towel.

I tried to keep this brief but it did't work...

I've always been a fan of guitar technology, since the 90's using pre amps by every manufacturer that even glanced outside of the analogue box, Digitech, Line 6 etc. Rocktron were the best by far for me,i tried all of their preamps and had a Prophesy for years and years, my rig consisted of the Prophecy and a Mesa 50/50 into a marshall, nice and simple.

I always recorded the Prophesy direct, i miked it up occasionally but the results were never really better, just unrepeatable :) Though, as i know you're all thinking, that couldn't exactly have been the holy grail of tone, and you're right, it wasn't, always had to dial out a lot of nasties after the fact, though i became very handy with a notch filter :) When i heard the first Axe FX i was gobsmacked, hearing all the great tones people were getting, then the Ultra came out etc etc... I decided to sell my whole rig and invest in one, that was about 6 or 7 years ago now.

It so transpired that the money i got for my gear just trickled in and trickled out, it wasn't even halfway to being enough money anyway even if it hadn't frittered away, so for the next few years i ended up going through every single software amp modeller ever made, for what it's worth, Amplitube 3 is the best in my opinion, TH2 is a close second, maybe followed by LePou with IR's if you can be even remotely arsed to work that hard to get a pleasing sound, which i guess kinda leads me to my point, but not before i mention Bias = Toy.

I did finally get an Axe FX a few months ago, i got the Axe FX 2 XL with the MFC101 mk3.

I'd arrived! Or so i thought.

I expect, i literally EXPECT, that for this amount of money, and all the good sounds i've heard people get with all of the AXE's, to be able to get through the first 100 presets and say wow that sounds great at least ONCE, just once, but nope, massively bassy, muddy, treble bereft sounds that i struggle to see how they would fit into any mix with out so much tweaking that i might as well have miked up an amp.

Now i'll try to nip some preconceptions in the bud because i know the fan boys will be seething by this point. Firstly, look back up to where i say Rocktron Prophesy lots of times, i'm not a technophobe, you can't even work with, let alone love a Prophesy if you are one, it's quite similar in it's complexity but with no software interface, i can twiddle for England! I have fiddled and twiddled my way to through this unit, and the quest for brightness and tightness in the box ends disappointingly every time, just a quick point here, a Fender Bassman with my PRS Custom 24 going through it IS NOT THAT DARK! End of... Usually if it was too dark you could simply move the mic closer to the centre of the speaker, this should have the potential of being waaaaay too bright but i think the AXE is allergic to treble so you don't have that option.

I am running my PRS, into the XL2, into a Universal Audio Quad, both USB and XLR, obviously i've tried both, there is no discernible difference, out of the Apollo and into a pair of ATC SCM20ASL monitors, pretty much as good as it gets quality wise, and i'm sitting here watching Kemper videos and thinking to myself "but what if i want to turn the gain down?" You can't, a Kemper isn't the answer for me either but why am i even looking at them?

Unless i'm missing something really major, i'm just really disappointed, i waited so long for one of these and i'm less inspired now than ever by my guitar tone, and i'm far from the only person making this exact complaint, but the responses these people get either end up being condescending or just plain stupid shit like "have you checked the tone knob on your guitar?" !!!!

i'm not expecting any help from here, but if you have the miracle answer please tell me, if you just want to flame me, keep it to yourself, as well as any questions that might even remotely fall into the dumb fuck category the above question fits so neatly into.

My final point is an example, i'm trying to remix an old track i recorded with the prophesy some years back, I thought it would be great to use my new AXE FX to bring some new life into the track with a higher fidelity guitar sound, but so far, and i've been at a for couple of weeks now, i cannot find a sound that even comes close to sounding as good as what's already recorded, that just ain't right, i sold the Rocktron for £350, i think i might just give up, i do not want a big old amp rig with loads of pedals and wires and shit, i never have, and there are no current viable hardware alternatives.

I suppose i do already have a whole bunch of modelling software, i've resisted until now but i think i'm going to whack an instance of Amplitube onto my project and give it whirl while i think about putting this thing on eBay.

:(

If you are struggling with the factory presets i strongly recommend you invest a bit on the Fremen Preset packs, friends that have bought them have said those presets saved an imminent sale of their units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom