Digital Out

runway11

Inspired
Hey guys, wanted to ask for your opinions. My interface has an optical digital audio input and wanted to see what would be the drawback in using a converter (please see below) to change the cable format so it can fit the coaxial digital out of the AX8.

Amazon product ASIN B0002J2MV4
Any feedback?

what are the preamp on your interface?
the ax8 are a really good. I understand why you want to convert the signal but seriously I don't think it worth the trouble.
any balance cable will do as good I think

No drawback as far as I can tell from having used a similar product in the same way. Nice to free up the analog outs if needed.

Yeah analog is perfect but I am just thinking that that might have some other applications... Can't digital out be used to get the dry digital signal and the outputs processed... like for reamping? Honestly I would do it just to free up my analogs but I haven't explored enough in the menus to see if it could be used like this. So far loving this thing!

1. Be cautious: The unit pictured may only be 16bit: I'd want to see a 24 bit spec. Some of the inexpensive S/PDIF coax to optical or USB only support 16bit audio, at which point you are better off using the AX8 analog outs into a decent 24/48 AD converter.

2. AX8 manual p.3: " S/PDIF OUT – This outputs a digital copy of the Main Output."
Looks as if the AX8 can't give you a direct & a processed signal on S/PDIF; as the Main Outputs are stereo and can't go dual mono. You could split it with a DI ahead of the AX8 for reamping.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom